pinestraw pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rehfis, Dec 25, 2002.

1. rehfis

rehfis LawnSite Member
    from ga

I just did a pinstraw job spreading 50 bails of pinestraw. Most of it was around plants and shrubs. I was curious to see how other people go about charging for pinestraw installation.

2. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We charge per bale. $6/per bale

3. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I charge $4.75 per bale.

Where in GA are you?

Derek

4. rehfis

rehfis LawnSite Member
    from ga

the price that you posted, is that with the cost of the pinestraw or is that just the labor charge? i am located in the atlanta metro area. roswell marietta alpharetta. north fulton and cobb

5. cutting edge

$4.75 includes the price of the straw.

How did you price your job?

Derek

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

always double the price if not triple !!

7. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

....ditto

8. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I never have understood why some landscapers price this service in that manner - I know many people price mulch in the same fashion. If you know how long it will take you to do the job per man-hour, multiply your $/hr rate by the number of man-hours, add in cost of picking up the material, add any other miscellaneous costs, and add in the cost of the material. Then, divide this number by the number of bales required to get the actual price per bale. I suppose the multiplier approach to the cost of the material can be a safe measure (not to say that you actually make any money by taking this approach). My advice is to do the math to make sure you are making the profit that you need, even if you have to guesstimate the man-hours required. By taking this approach, eventually you will have a history report that you can use to accurately price a job. I promise you will not regret it.

Sorry if most of you guys already do this - I just see many people lose a lot of money in my area by not doing the math, and this eventually hurts the whole industry.

9. cutting edge

"always double the price if not triple !!"

If I doubled the price then I would be charging less than what I am now.

If I tripled the price then I would be charging more than my market will bear.

In addition to what jkelton says I would try to find out what the going rates are in your area.

Derek

10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

We charge $9.00 per bale. Most people we sell to can get the same size bale around here for about $4.90 including tax. Lowes and home depot are cheaper but the bale is smaller. I can buy it by the trailer load so our price is usually around $2.83 a bale with delivery included.