Pinestraw question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ED'S LAWNCARE, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I have been asked to give an estimate on pine straw mulch. I have spread alot of dbl ground and single ground but very little straw. How do you figure the labor. Is there a minimum per bale or a square yd? I typically charge 55-65 per yard depending if it is dyed or not. $55/yd for straw seems high? Maybe not I don't know.

2. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

People install bales of pine straw from $4.50-$7/bale here in GA. Most lawn care companies try to get at least $6-6.50/bale and possible less if you do 200+bales

3. macy landscaping

macy landscaping LawnSite Member

Here in Nc if you pay $4.00 per bale we like to get between 2 or 3 dollars per bale spread depending on how many.This includes tucking and all clean up. I know of a crew here out of raleigh and charlotte that can do 1000 to 1200 bales per crew per day and only charge about 5.70 per bale and this includes everything.They do have a 400 bale minimum.I use them at my apartment complex that i maintain and I do all the jobs 300 bales or less. Hope this helps.

4. Edge08

Edge08 LawnSite Member

Here in Charlotte, I charge $7.50 per bale for red, long-leaf pine needles. Never had a problem getting that amount. I have a supplier that delivers and spreads for $5.15 per bale with 30 day terms so it is easy money with no work. Let me know and I can pass along his contact info.

5. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for the info. It's not that big of a job to sub out. I sure I can do o.k. at 6.50 / bale.

6. greenman10

greenman10 LawnSite Member

Selecting the right price per bale depending on whether you want the best job or not.
    For the best job, You need at least $7.00 per bale to make any money. Use only the best quality pinestraw. The fast installers usually leave a big mess for some else to clean up. Watch out for the cheap prices per bale and also count the number of bales used. They may give you a cheap price per bale and make it up with a increase in the number of bales.