Pinestraw Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by noahb195, Mar 28, 2012.

1. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys i got a customer today that asked how much to do pinestraw for. And we said we willl get back to you on that. Ive only put down pinestraw on my own house so i dont know how much to charge. Lets say its $4.25 how much should i charge on top of that for labor.

Its a relatively large yard but the beds are very narrow (against the house wise)

Any help is appreciated,
    thanks

2. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Bump for thursday

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What do you charge for putting down mulch? Pretty much the same thing.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not even close. Pine straw comes in bales and you kinda just walk along and throw it on the ground. It looks like crap and is a major fire hazard. Since the pine needles are whole and haven't been chopped up, it takes them forever to decompose. They also won't lay down so they don't make a very good weed control.

I put it down once and couldn't get it to lay down so I've never touched it again.

5. kennc38

kennc38 LawnSite Senior Member

Good point on the fire hazard issue Richard. Several apartment and house fires in Raleigh were attributed to pine straw being used as cover next to the buildings (someone threw a cigarette into the pine straw and POOF!). Needless to say, several cities and counties have begun banning its use against any type of structure, which I completely agree with.

6. wswebster42

wswebster42 LawnSite Member

So how would yal charge? Needless to say the customer wants it and has had it for yrs. I'm new to the game. This will be my first pine straw experience. Hopefully not too aggravating!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

To say the least. Pine straw is responsible for burning down half of a brand new subdivision in Raleigh a few years ago.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/25/405820/fire-revives-questions-about-pine.html

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I did a 12 bale one a couple years ago. (not big here) Guy just wanted down in the beds didn't have to lay flat or anything,just a natural look to it.

9. MSeals

MSeals LawnSite Member

Pinestraw applications in my area cannot be too expensive due to many cut throat workers around here that get it directly from the tree farm and put it out for less than a normal LCO can purchase it for. So....go from there, ex. 1 bale= about 1 min to apply..100 bales for one worker at $6.50 a piece (customer price *JUST THROWING OUT THERE*) $650 - $425 (your price) $225 profit for an 1 hr. and 40 min. Play with the numbers (since there is overhead in any company) and make it where you make money. You may not make a whole lot from one job, but if you get more jobs, there's a good bit of money to be made. Sell your product though (lay it thick and tuck it nice), if the customers happy then you get more jobs. Those cheaper guys just throw and go and makes us all look bad. Hope it helps and good luck

10. wswebster42

wswebster42 LawnSite Member

Thank you Mseals!
    Posted via Mobile Device