Pinestraw Removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summergrove, Nov 12, 2003.

1. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

I have accounts with lots of pinestraw,its hard to blow impossible to bag it seems like raking is the only way out. I thought of hiring one of the local distributers maybe they would just do it for free or little money since they turn around and sell it. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly welcome.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If you absolutely have to "remove" it, the best way I've found is to blow (usually gets about 90%, you can never get it all even by raking) the bulk of it into piles, then bag by hand, and then mulch what's left. However, I try to avoid this at all cost, usually by encouraging weekly mowing through the fall - regular mulching seems to work pretty well, but in places where the grass is thin I may have to rake a little.

Does anybody know if the Shindaiwa powerbroom would be recommended for straw cleanup? Would it tear up the turf, being that in the Fall it is going dormant? Worth $1000?
  3. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

I've tried mulching but this time of year it is to thick. this is the longneedle pinestraw and there are lots of companies down here that only sell pinestraw I just never seem to be able to find people raking it. Thanks for your comments.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have several customers with pine trees, and had a heavy cover of pine straw this season. I use a silage fork (about 12 tines, about 18" long, 15" wide). I bought the silage fork for hardwood bark mulch, but it works well for pine straw.

No, I didn't say the work was easy. The fork is heavy, the pine straw is heavy, voluminously, and hard to handle. But, mulching is not possible with the heavy cover, normal leaf rakes are too light, blowers don't move enough material because of the weight. The silage fork won't clean the ground, but will get 90% so that the rest can be blown or raked out.
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont mulch it, side discharge it many times. The reason its hard to get up is becasue of the stick-like nature it has, poking into the ground like a skeuer, preventing itself from being moved. If you side discharge it, its the same thing as mulching, but a LOT eaisier on your mowers. Once you get it mulched up, bag it.

We have some 13-40' tall pine trees in our yard. Needles are EVERYWHERE right now due to the high winds of 40MPH steady, and 70MPH gusts. I've done this numerous times, and next to raking them, its like the only way....Unless you like hands-on jobs:rolleyes: