Pinestraw Tucking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terry Edwards, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Terry Edwards

Terry Edwards LawnSite Member

I would like some tips on the best procedure for this detail work.
    Thanks.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

When I put it down around a tree I actually use my hands to roll the edges in...........I've seen some that was just thrown down and then some that was perfectly tucked. I haven't mastered the "perfect tuck" yet. I've asked others how they do it, some say they use a blower others say they use a rake. One guy told me it needs to be wet to get it to form properly. Trial and error. My last job looked pretty good compared to a lot and not as good as others.

Practice and spy on your competitors.......hope this helps!:cool:

3. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I put down the needles about 6 inches past my border. I place them heavier around the edge to give it some weight. Then I take my blower on low-medium speed and point it at the edge of the needles and start forcing them to roll under. A 45 degree angle to the ground seems to work best for me. Then you just work yourself along until they are rolled in as far as you like. Takes a little practice but saves lots of time once you master it.

I agree that if you can dampen the needles with water it add weight to them and makes it a little easier to control and keep the needles from folding over back into the bed. The trick is to make the wind roll them under.