Pinestraw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjsquickcuts, Aug 11, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Here a few snaps of a quick Pinestraw Job from this morning....25 mins of work wasn't that bad to add a little curb appeal....and as you can see, the four 100 degree days in a row are really starting to have an effect on my lawns also....Still trying to cut @ 2.5.

DSCF0551.JPG

DSCF0552.JPG

DSCF0553.JPG

DSCF0554.JPG

DSCF0555.JPG

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

just a few more....

DSCF0556.JPG

DSCF0557.JPG

DSCF0558.JPG

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

That looks good quickcuts! Did you roll and tuck the edges on that straw? It looks real fluffy. How much do you charge in the ATL per bale. We get $8.00-$8.50 per bale and we are buying it for $3.25 per bale.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

It may also look a little better if you would have trimmed those dead branches on the trees while you where there.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

RE: Next to the last photo. What is the purpose of that piece of pipe that looks to be about 4-feet from his property line ? It is leaning outward over the curb line ?

6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

8.00 - 8.50 per bale?? I work in the next county and we struggle to squeeze 5.75 out of people. I've had customers skip their pine straw this year, customers in 1 mil plus homes. There are too many guys around spreading it for $4.25 per bale. I know guys in East/West Cobb who can't get $6.00/bale.

Nice job though. Looks like a good roll job on the straw.

7. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

You are right but what found out is that a lot of the times( not all of the time) they charge $4.25 a bale but end of never installing the amount of bales they billed the customer for. I know this because I know a guy who worked for 3 different "pine straw" companys. If you ever get a chance to see their work........take a look.........a lot of the time it is spread too thin.

P.S that white plastic pipe is used as a temporary property/utility marker for the developer before grading begins. It needs to be removed.

8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I agree and know this, but try convincing a home owner. I have several times and they still go with the $4.25 guy! "He's a good O boy and would not do that to me" ..........whatever! I measured out a property and came up with 125 bales max. They ended up hiring a guy driving around the neighborhood spreading it for $4.50/bale and he told them he would be spreading 175 bales! In the end he didn't even cover all of the areas I measured and spread it way thin. I bet he layed about 90-100 bales.... Bottom line is most homeowners are just not smart.........and I'm tired of tryin to teach them.

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

How much are buying the straw for? There is a place here that we get it for $3.25 per bale and we charge them 8.00-8.50 per bale installed. This price includes us going and getting the straw and putting it down, rolling and tucking the edges, and cleaning up. If there are guys that are doing all of this for 4.25 per bale then they are not even making a dollar a bale. They have lost their mind! There are a few lowballers around here but they come and go when it gets this hot. I don't know of anybody around here that will do it that cheap. Man I feel sorry for those guys.

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

The folks that are charging $4.25 a bale are not typically in the "biz" per se....... all they do is pine straw and nothing else. They load up the truck and drive to a neighborhood and knock on doors asking if the homeowners want new pine straw.One outfit around me has a tractor trailer of straw delivered on the land behind her house. She hires "low lifes" to spread it, while she and her husband knock on doors. They charge such a low price that she gets call backs. A neighbor of mine used their service and called back for more and they never showed. I'm thinking that her address was no longer feasible with the other drops on their daily route.

This is what I know of their business plan. .........they order a tractor trailer from Corbins or some other bulk supplier and pay for it with a credit card. By the time the bill comes in they have already sold and layed all of the bales. They then re-order and do it again . If for some reason they are'nt selling all of the bales, they put a yard sign up advertising $3.00 a bale............they still turn a profit because they only paid anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 a bale. Also, the folks they hire to spread are day labor or other folks that don't have regular jobs and they pay them for the day per bale or sometimes only about $40.00 a day cash.

I'm getting $6.00 a bale for anything under 20 bales and $5 a bale for anythign more than 20 bales but then again my accounts are in the city which is not conducive to these "low ballers" business plan.