Pink Lawn Care Van

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DiscoveryLawn, Mar 12, 2005.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think of this marketing idea?

Pink_Van_Pic 2.jpg

2. DiscoveryLawn

My girlfriend talked me into painting my truck pink last year as a way to get noticed and quickly become recognized through out town.

Well, it worked!

Anybody who has seen this van one time remembers it.

(I know I'm gonna get beat up for this one :( )

3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you hadn't already said that it worked I would have said it was a bad idea. I would have said go with a green van with bright yellow letters. But hey, if it works, it works. Congrats.

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am glad you said "your girlfriend". Not that I am homophobic but any guy doind lawn care with a pink van and the name "Discovery" on the side would definetely lead me to think that he was, well, for lack of better terms, alternative.

Any whatever works for you and to each his own but I wouldn't do it.

5. DiscoveryLawn

OK, I have to set the record straight.

Yes, it has worked... everybody remembers the van. The problem is, I am VERY concerned about the image it portrays. Merlin's thought is exactly what I am afraid many people are thinking when they see me in it. Sure they remember the van ...they probably remember NOT to call us too. :blob1:

The whole idea behind this was:

Obviously, to stand out among the 130+ other LCO's in the Dayton area.

I wanted people to remember what lawns they saw me working on in my pink truck.

Fast brand establishment and recognition.

Attracting women to call for quotes. (about 70% of our calls are from women)

When we first started talking about what color to paint the van, I hated the pink idea. The more we debated it, the more I started to agree with trying it. So, I tried an experiment first. We put out pink flyers and light green flyers and quickly discovered that we were getting more calls from the pink flyers. With that, I decided to go with the pink truck idea.

I now have that pink truck on our literature, business cards, yellow page ad and 50% of the people who live in my area has seen the truck by now.

This may have been the worse thing I could have done to grow my company. The problem is the damage may already be done (at least for now).

Not sure what to do about this. Should I stick out with the pink and continue to market with it and try to change the image of "pink"? Or, should I basically start over again with socially friendlier colors and hope everyone forgets I used to be pink?

David

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

David, I can think of half a dozen other colors that would have accomplished that! Damn! What were you thinking?!?! ;-)

Are you still with your G/F? If so, STOP LISTENING TO HER! Now, here's what you have to do: Get her licensed, and put HER in that van!! Get her a pink uniform to match. Buy a couple more vans, paint them pink, hire a couple more woman w/app licenses and you'll be all set! :D

Seriously, that's a tough call. I guess it comes down to how much it REALLY bothers you. If you're really not happy with it, start over. You got to be happy.
    Keep us posted.

7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Who cares what the ones who are not using your services think? Companies spend millions in research and marketing to find the right niche for themselves. You spent what - $25 on pink/green fliers and $500 on a paint job? And it worked!... If Coca Cola found that purple cans sold faster than red, which color do you think they would use?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I like the suggestion of hiring some women for your crew. Obviously there is a market for "feminine" lawn care and you should not ignore it.

Heck, if it works that well I would paint flowers on my mowers and tie ribbons on my weedeaters.

You go BOY :D

8. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well like I said for me it was the pink van and the name "Discovery".......

9. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

genious. I painted all my trucks yellow the first year we started. Gets you noticed. I have had many customers say they noticed my trucks all over town. I first got that idea from local truckin company. When they started they had all purple semis. They got noticed very quickly and became very well known from it. Deffinitly go with it.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

ive been tossing around the same idea for a few years now... i think its gonna happen soon... people can think all they want about it. but i would be laughin all the way to bank....