1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pink lawn spots

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by scagwildcat, Jun 5, 2006.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i dont have pics yet, but i noticed on a lot of lawns that i mow and lawns that i have given estimates for, they seem to have pink spots, it looks like patches of thatch, but its pink, ive never seen it before, we have had alot of rain lately, and alot of caterpillars this year... i just wish i knew what to tell people when they ask about it, the spots are about 6 inches round, some with pets some without pets, most have chemlawn!!!! thank you for the help..
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

red thread. need some nitrogen, and will clear when growing conditions improve such as not so much rain.
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Most likely red-thread. Thrives in moist, humid conditions, we get it on lawns every Spring. Its is very easy to spread from one lawn to another also. Like Jodi said, nitrogen will do the trick, grow it out.
  5. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Paul, be careful if you run your mower through a yard that has the condition and then go mow the next yard without thoroughly cleaning your machine you will most likely tranfer to other lawns.
  6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Please go to my thread Red Mold and look at the pics. It is red tips on the yellow grass, but also red sticky clumps throughout. I am curious if I am having the same problem
  7. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

Rich thats what i was worried about, i did clean all the mowers this past weekend
  8. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

LAWNCARE18 its deff. the red thread, thats what it looks llike to me.. the picture looks just like the lawns ive seen....
  9. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

Can't believe ya'll are talking about this because I saw it today on one of my lawns, it is the weirdest thing cause there are little sticky lumps of jelly-like stuff. I asked the nursery guy about it and he thought maybye red thread, he also suggested growing it out with nitrogen
  10. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

I went and looked at another lawn today and it was the same, i cant believe it, its like an outbreak of it this year!! ive delt with snow mold before, but not red thread.. what do you guys think is causing this? one lady was told by chemlawn that it was grubs !! lol i swear every lawn that i mow, that has chemlawn, ends up dieing out, do these people ever test the soil? i think not! lol