1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pink Patch/Red Thread??????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Chuck Kern, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Chuck Kern

Chuck Kern LawnSite Member

I've googled the topic of lawn fungus to death the past month or so and now I'd like to hear from the experts. My lawn has been plagued with what I think is pink patch for the past two seasons. Here is what I have done last year and so far this year. The front yard is only affected. It is roughly 7000 square feet. My whole yard is 17,000 square feet.

FALL 2007

Scotts Lawn Fungus Control
    Limed---(granular-22.5 40lb bags)
    Winterizer-late October

SPRING 2008

3/10/08--Milky Spore put down (grubs were terrible last year)
    3/17/08--Scotts Turfbuilder put down (No Halts) I don't have any crabgrass
    5/12/08--Mycelium appeared on top of blades of grass. Grass blades soon became straw-like thereafter. Disease continued to spread
    5/13/08--Scotts Turfbuilder Plus 2 Weed control put down.
    5/16/08--Spectracide Immunox Lawn Disease Control put down in front only. I put 13 pounds down.
    5/30/08--Another treatment of Immunox, 12 pounds. It's getting expensive.
    6/13/08--Grub Beater (Merit) put down

And to top it off, on Father's Day, we had a nice humid rainy night. I woke up to a yard that looked as if it lightly snowed. The fungus was everywhere. I'm beat down and ready to give up. The fungus control is worthless. Send help!!!! I have pics, but I can't figure out to download them to this thread.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

To post pics scroll down and choose "Manage attachments" .

Does the problem fungus look like this from Cornell?

Some types of perennial ryegrass are very susceptible to red thread disease. Warm humid nights--heavy dew--watering at night--all cause rapid spread.

I suggest watering during the daytime. And water more minutes but only three times per week to reduce the avearage humidity for the week. Extra nitrogen usually helps. A liquid Immunox fungicide, rather than granular, applied at the curative rate is a good idea.

Of course it could be dollarspot.
  3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

You should consider over seeding with a resistant cultivar. Red thread is generally persistent year after year. Introducing a new grass type will help to minimize the problem. Of course proper fertilizing will help to " grow out " red thread as the disease indicates low nitrogen amounts. Maintain a high mowing height and collect all clippings when the disease is present. Contact your local cooperative extension office for help in finding a resistant grass type for your area and site conditions. BTW save your self some money and use only a preventitive grub control by it's self. There is no need for milky spore if you have applied Merit. Keep in mind that milky spore will only help to control Japanese Beetle and is ineffective against the other grub varieties.
  4. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

you're probably watering horribly.
  5. Chuck Kern

I'm watering as much as God is dishing out. The Spring here in western PA has been very wet, then hot and humid, now cool again. My applications of all of these products have been prior to good rain storms. I trapped the Chem-lawn guy the other day for 35 minutes and he suggested that my Potassium and Phosphorous are off. He also suggested using Manorganit(???????) Thanks for the help.
  6. Chuck Kern

Also, still having trouble uploading my pics. I did go to the "manage attachments", but it doesn't like my jpeg files for some reason.