Pink Snow Mold

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Handidrummed, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Handidrummed

Handidrummed LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I had a quick question regarding Pink snow mold. I'm in Massachusetts and my lawn is a usual mix for this area of KBG, Fescue, and Rye and was planted in June 06. Last year I took over my own lawn maintenance and made the mistake of stopping my mowing about two weeks too early. I also put down my winter fert at this time which as I've read, because it was applied before the grass was dormant, it was too early.

So as a result I got slammed with a huge amount of snow mold, 98% of it grey. I've raked most of it out and will do the rest next week. It still looks terrible but at least I know that this will most likely recover. My question in regards to Pink snow mold. We have one tree in my front yard and around January I noticed a few small patches during a brief period where the snow melted. I couldn't do anything about it then because not enough snow was melted to apply anything. Once everything did finally melt and I could fully survey the damage, those patches had multiplied a bit and one had expanded to a large area a few feet across. The blades are tan with a pinkish hue (especially from far away) and are curled up, thinned out, and I can see the soil a bit. The blades also pull out easily. I'm worried that these areas are dead, though I'm holding out hope that they're just infected, the turf weak, but not 100% dead yet.

So what are the chances that this grass will not come back? My plan for this week is apply Bayleton to that area and just wait and see until May if the grass looks like it's going to come back. I'm cleaning up and putting down Dimension but I'll skip this area until I know whether or not the grass might recover a bit. If it is going to, I'll just put Dimension in this area a few weeks late. If it is not, I'll then just expose the soil in these areas with a rake, throw down some seed, use the rake again to increase soil contact, and then fertilize my whole lawn, which I'm planning to do in May once more of the lawn has woken up.

Does this sound like a good plan of action? If the grass is going to come back, even if it's a little thinner than last year, I can wait until the fall to overseed with the tine dethatcher. I just don't want these areas to look terrible before then all year.