pintle hitch vs ball hitch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBL, Sep 29, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we have both a pintle on a 18' equipment trailer and a 2'' ball on a 16' and 14' trailer

what is the benfits and downsides of both i havent really noticed any except i think the pintle beats on the truck more even with trailer brakes it knocks and pushes and pulls on the trucks

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the pintle, simply because it's easy to back up to and hitch on to.It is also very hard, if not near immpossible to unhook a pintle hitch accidently. Yes it does push on the truck, but I still like it better.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

pintle hitch is stronger and more secure,ball hitch is smoother

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

safty vs comfort

safty wins here

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they should out law ball hitches. Seen too many bad issues with them.
    Mike

6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Pintle hitches pivot better and therefore make it better to travel over uneven terrain with.

Personally I do not think a ball hitch is all that unsafe assuming you are using one properly rated for the load you are towing. I see way too many people tow very heavy equipment with a cheesy ball/receiver combo only rated for 5000-6000 lbs.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it pushes on a truck just as much as a ball hitch. It is the same weight pushing the truck. I like pintles better because I feel much more safe with them and they are so easy to hook up. I am switching my dump trailer over to one realy soon. I have never had a problem with ball hitches, but like Eclipse said, it is too easy to overload them when you don't have the right people using them. I feel perfectly safe with my ball hitch on my 2500 lb. boat set up, but not so much on my dump trailer.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use 2 5/16" ball hitches. I like them because we run light duty trucks (3/4 tons) and pintle hitches tend to throw the entire truck around.

On a heavier truck, a pintle hitch is the way to go.

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

EVERY trailer does this...ball or pintle...

I have a pintle hitch that is also a ball hitch on my bucket...best of both worlds!!!

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, the pintle will definitely make you think about the bolts holding your hitch on. I don't think the truck minds it but there is some real slide-hammer action going on between the hookup and the frame of the truck when you stop and start.