Pintle hitch vs ball hitch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CTmower, Apr 6, 2010.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I might be purchasing a new used trailer but the only problem is that it has a pintle hitch setup. My truck currently has the 2 5/16 ball hitch so if I wanna buy this trailer Ill have to purchase a pintle hitch setup. Question is what is the big difference between these two setups? I've seen a couple pintle hitches that actually have the ball on it too so you can use it for both types of trailers. Any help would be appreciated. THanks

2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the pintle hitch with the ball on my truck, because like you i have a trailer with the 2 5/16 ball and the pintle. I LOVE the dual purpose one, it stays in the hitch, however it cost about $100-110, if i remember correctly from tractor supply. I don't know the big difference i know one MAJOR difference i noticed is when towing the pintle moves when accelerating and stopping so you feel this jerk that your not used to when using the ball. thats the only thing i noticed, as far as control and things it was fine

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

That's why pintles break more often than the ball, also it is so much reasier to back up to compared to the ball!!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

That's why pintles break more often than the ball, also it is so much reasier to back up to compared to the ball!!!!! Also there easier to steal! :crying:
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with the easier to hookup!!!!! :clapping:

6. stacks04

stacks04 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i have the combo hitch setup. it is versatile. the main difference is the pintle has a little more movement in it when used with a combo hitch. i would not, not buy it because if this though.

7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Pintle is much stronger.

8. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a reason why you only see pintles on heavier duty trailers, because they're heavier duty... I personally hate the combo ball/pintle hitches on the pintle side, there is much more slop/play than with a dedicated pintle hitch. I love the combo hitches for the ball since they're a great way to get a 6"-8" or more drop while still being rated for any decent weight.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

yep, i use a dedicated pintle hitch for my deckover equipment trailer, much much less slop than a pintle/ball combo hitch. it almost feels like a ball hitch. and i also keep a combo hitch with 2 5/16" in my toolbox for our enclosed. The pintle combo+plate is much stronger than a standard drop drawbar.

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

How big of a trailer is the OP talking about? Im assuming it is pretty big to have a pintle hitch, Ive never seen a regular 16ft trailer with anything other than a standard ball or a bull dog type. I wonder why they use the pintle on huge equipment trailers if they are prone to breaking more? I would be nervous about all that play back and forth when taking off and stopping, especially if youve got a big backhoe or dozer back there! I think the semi type hook up is the best, if it were available for lighter duty trucks, the sliding plate and single pin design. Surprising nobody has designed a smaller version of this for use by a pick up truck?