Pintle hitch vs. regular ball

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DieselTurfer HD, Feb 11, 2003.

1. DieselTurfer HD

DieselTurfer HD LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a 24ft enclosed and i have the option of either a pintle hitch or a regular ball. I have only used a pintle hitch hear and there and know they are alot easier to hook up but make alot of noise too. Just trying to see what the benefits of having a pintle over the ball is or vise versa..

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can not help you with an enclosed trailer, but for the dump trailer I am getting it will have a ball for the hitch. On my truck I will have a pintle hitch in the receiver with a 2 5/16" ball for the trailer. It makes the best use of the truck hitch. If I need to pull another trailer with a pintle I can, kind of like two hitches in one. I still have a 2" ball on the bumper. Hope this helps a little.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Strength. Pintle hitches are a lot stronger than ball hitches. Plus , you can always get that combo hitch- pintle and ball in one. If I had to do it over I'd get the pintles on everything.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you are using it as a maintenance trailer, I would recommend getting a 2 5/16" ball. Yes the pintail is much stronger and easier to hook up, we use them for all of our deck over trailers. As for maintenance, a ball will give you a MUCH smoother ride. Plus it's easier on your truck because you don't get the jerk of stopping and taking off.