Pintle Hitch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Brett's Cutting Edge, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

I am looking at getting a dump trailer and I see that alot of the 14' ones that I am looking at have a Pintle Hitch. What is the pros and cons of these. I have never used one. I have a f250 m/ the v10 so it wont be a problem pulling a fulley loaded trailer.

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

fool proof!!!!!!!!!! better to be safe than sorry!!! It may bump you a little when you stop...nothing to worry about.

3. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 LawnSite Member

I really like pintle hitches. Although a lot of people look at them and question how safe can they be, IMO they are the safest hitch since when properly used there is next to not possiblity of it coming loose and opening up or the trailer coming off. The only con I can think of is that generally when you are using one that means that the trailer is very heavy and what your carrying is very heavy (they are just ment to handle more), so it's not really a con, just a PITA

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one on my landscape trailer (don't ask why) and it was great. Very easy to hook up and fool proof.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes pintles are the easiest to hitch up. No pins or levers to pull or put is and they're easier to line up to the hitch. You also don't have to deal with different ball sizes just make sure the ratings are the same.

6. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I love pintle hitches. Definatley the safest, and the easiest to hook up. I actually pulled my back once checking to see if the ball hitch was secured. Never again!