1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pinto hitch or ball hitch??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowisme, Feb 5, 2010.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a used tandem trailer ( 2 axles @ 3500# ea.) as my single was not quite enough for this little Bob Cat (M444) ..But upon replacing the boards on floor I noticed the dross members were 3/16 thickness, and quite rusted. I have since cut them out and added 1/4" thick ones w/2"x3" dia angle. I'm also going to build new 'A' frame tounge. The old was a 'huge' plate on front with large pinto ring. ( mucked up welds too) has several height adjusts so plate hung down quite far to accomidate all the holes. I think it wasn't nessesary as pinto reciever has several adjustments in height. ANYWAY..I was wondering if I'd be better off just getting a H.D. A frame ball coupler as my other trailer had? or is the Pinto the way to go? I would never haul more than 4000 lbs as it is a 12 ft trailer. What is best way to go? what size ball coupler- 2" enough? Thanks. Geno

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

what is a "pinto" hitch. is that what is on the back of those old ford pintos?

3. mowisme

The '0' style ring that large trailers in industrial work use to haul rollers/ black top pavers,ect..- much stronger than coupler..if big enough.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

OH the that is called a pintle hitch. the truck side is acually the pintle the trailer side is a lunette loop. for only 4000# a 2" ball would be fine.

5. mowisme

Gotcha- thanks on that clarafication. I was close..but way off too. Gene

6. The-Other-Side

The-Other-Side LawnSite Member

I agree with Clark Lawn that a 2" would be fine for 4000#. Personally however I would just go ahead and put a 2-5/16" ball on it.

7. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

x2 .

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Pintle , much easier to hook up alone.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

you'll get alot more movement with the pintle when stopping/takeoff. but for only 4000lbs id go with a heavy duty 2" or 2 5/16" ball.

10. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

pintle. soooooo much easyer to hook up