pipe broke = flooded basement

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kootoomootoo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

valves on backflow were turned off...hence no water outside of house.

controller left on and pump kicked in with timer and next thing i know 2inches of water in basement. Is pipe failure likely everytime this scenario happens.

Should pump prime and when it gets to a certain psi shut off ...or i this a pipedream.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you could easily install a pressure switch on the pump and have it set just above your highest flowing pressure. No flow= shutdown of pump. Just takes a little creative wiring, but not all that complex.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is this an irrigation-only pump? Like the man said, a pressure switch, set at a high cutoff pressure, can be a useful safeguard.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Boy oh boy... Between noisy pipes and pipe breaks I'm beginning to think that you guys that have to deal with basements are just in for a PITA time. :)

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well gee… did the pipe actually break or did a fitting come apart? I haven’t worked with enough pumps to be really primed on the subject, but the bursting pressure for most pvc that you see out there I’d imagine would be more than what the typical pump could produce. Of course, all it takes is a scrape or nick in the pipe and funny things do happen.

Yeah, where’s that pressure switch when you need it…