pipe cooler???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by environment, Jun 25, 2005.

1. environment

environment LawnSite Member

i was told to buy a pipe cooler, to dig the trenches and bury the hose at the same time, where can i get one, and about how much do they go for???

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Pipe Puller - or Vibratory Plow, if you want to get technical about it. Lawn Plow would be another term. Use those phrases in a search, and you'll see lots of archived posts about them.

3. environment

thanks, i will do that

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We just payed $17k for our DW 410sx. It had 540 hours on it. I think thats a pretty smoking deal, considering we got the trencher attachment with it.

New they retail for $28k or so.

You can buy an old rundown DW VP12 for about a grand, but they usually need a ton of work, and don't do near the job as the 410 (No sod precutter, and pretty much no pulling power).

Some rental places have 410's and 255's, but if your just doing one irrigation job, I wouldn't reccomend using a vibratory plow...The learning curve is lot harder to catch on to over trenchers, and you have to design your system around easy pulls instead of square angles.

But once you get the hang of it, especially if your laying poly, then they are an amazing machine that can do the work of 5 guys and a trencher with just two guys and a plow.

[​IMG]

5. Wet_Boots

For just one job, subcontract the vibratory plow. Watch it at work. Watch how the operator does not position himself on the downhill side of the machine when pulling pipe on a slope. Old cheap machines are basically a waste of space, which is why they're cheap. The pictured machine is one of the heavyweights that can handle rough terrain. But where the hell is the rollover protection?!!

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

ROPS on a 410 ROFLMAO. almost makes it worth reading this thread :) But then the only reason I was reading was because a "Pipe cooler" reminded me of a contraption from my dorm room way back when :cool2: Attached to the top of a small perk pot instead of the little glass piece. With a little time, patients, and a dimmer switch on the power side it was a really nice set up :)

7. Wet_Boots

Ahh, you flatlander guys. Just about anything that fits through a garden gate and weighs over a ton can roll over in the right conditions. (although you can fit that 410 with dual wheels, to make it a lot tougher to tip over)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its not always possible to do a pull and be on the uphill side of the machine. Sometimes you have to pull from one direction only, and it forces you to be on the downhill side.

However, I will not do this, and will trench it instead with our 3500 (with a rollbar too :D ) if the hillside is fairly steep, but once you have your plow blade fully inserted into the ground, and you keep the trenching attachment low (if you have one), the 410 is a very stable machine.

I did a pull on the bank of an empty pond, I was worried when I was lining it up, but once the blade was down the machine didn't budge an inch.

9. environment

well, i have about 3k to spend, so im hoping i could get somthing at least half way decent with that

10. Wet_Boots

Save your money, and hire the pipe pulling. Anyone with the 'chops' to resurrect a cheap old vibratory plow has a more profitable career in front of him repairing heavy equipment.