Pipe puller question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by scott's turf, Aug 14, 2006.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you use a puller rather than a trencher can you still use poly fittings with clamps or do you have to use a saddle fitting? I have only used trenchers and wasn't sure if a pulled pipe will be stretched so much that after you cut it to put a T fitting in the two ends of the pipe will be too far apart to clamp to the fitting.

One time we punctered a line with an aerator and I thought I could cut the line and put a union in but after I cut it the pipe retracted and ended up with a 2" gap between the ends.

Thanks for the input.

-Scott

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

you can still use insert fittings...

The only time the pipe will move on me is when I'm putting in a tee close to the end of the run when the poly is still sticking up not connected to anything... but even then it's still very easy to pull back to you

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Poly pipe can stretch quite a bit when pulled. Different factors contribute to the stretch. Length of pull, pulling an S-curve, temperature. Lots of times, a tee can be cut into a line without having to cut away any pipe. The cut ends will pull away that much.

There are insert fitting slip-fix couplings, which make repairs easier for folks unnacustomed to working with poly.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I typically cut out around 6 inches of poly, and use two barbed fittings, a nipple and union for a poly repair.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have never used a union for a poly repair. One time, very late in the year, with cold temperatures making the pipe stiff, and hard to work with, I got lazy, and coupled two ends (from two pipe pull runs being joined) together with a IxMPT ell and a IxFPT ell (threaded into each other, like a swing joint, sort of) - a bit of torch heat on the pipe ends, push the barb ends into the pipes, and gently step on the joined ells, and force the whole thing down flat. Minimizes the digging needed for larger-diameter connections.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

thanks for the input fellas

7. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member