Pipe puller vs. Trenching

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Landscape dawg, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Landscape dawg

Landscape dawg LawnSite Member

I was thinking of buying a new trencher or a puller. I have never used a puller and do not know all the ins and outs. The labor saved by not having to backfill a trench seems like the puller should win hands down. I might buy one if I knew more about it. Any help or info would be appreciated.

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

3. we had always trenched them in, I bought a used trencher with a pipe puller. Had someone showing me how to pull and all I can say is wow, don't ever plan on trenching again.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

what does everyone else in your area do? if they're not pulling pipe, there might be a reason.

5. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

Love to pull. Especially the rezzies. I have a puller for sale!!!!!!!!!

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If I had to trench and do systems out of pvc , Im not sure I would even be in this buss.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a puller (vibratory plow) since 1984 , I trenched in my first system in 1983 ,it was work , bought the plow inspring of 1984 , used machines werent out there much. I paid $23,000 for my burkeen , here it is 2009 I still run that machine . Go with the plow hands down

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you buy a used plow, treat it to a brand-new blade. A good blade can make all the difference.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Find your local ditch witch and vemeer dealer , demo their units either a 410 ditch witch or a lm 42 vemeer , dont go with anything smaller , you will never regret the power. If you dont know equipment be careful on a used machine , take someone that realy knows . The price of new will shock you , but demo the machine anyway ask if they have used . New you are talking over 30 grand , good used about 12 grand . I have had great service out of my burkeen b 30 , but they are out of production for a while , soon to be back up and running according to the company who bought them .

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is the company that bought Burkeen going to be able to support the older machines still out there?