1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pipe question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Feb 12, 2009.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

gents I have a question. I'm bidding huge project mostly just for fun. Its an athletic complex w/ football field, 2 soccer fields, and 2 baseball fields. If for some reason I snagged it I'd love it, but not expecting anything with all the "hungry" irrigatiors/ contractors out there now. Mainly just bidding to see where I fall. But anyways, going over the specs the designer has all "class 200" pipe. Now I've seen it in 1" and 1.5" but have never seen 2" and 3" does is exist??? Why would you use it anyways? pikers. Oh and if for some reason I do snag it, CSRotor you have an open invitation to come plant around 150 rainbird 7005s (if I can't talk them into hunter)
  2. BrandonV

also if there is a way to dig up purp I'd love to hear from him.
  3. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is available, almost more so than SCH40, and yes it is commonly used around here. I use it for service/repair; guess Im a piker.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Class pipe is actually thicker than sch 40 when you get into the large sizes.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yes, it is available. I would use it. It will become more expensive when you get into the larger pipe sizes are the wall of the pipe will be thicker, thus leading to more materials needed for the pipe. But someone correct me if I am wrong, the break-even point on class vs sch is 6" or 8" or something like that? If there is any 1/2" pipe it will go down to class 315. Not possible to make a class 200 1/2" that i know of.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think you could, but no one in their right mind should buy it. Kind of like non-NSF 80 psi poly pipe ~ too thin for comfort.
  7. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the advantages of both thin (class) and thick (sch.). If I want to install a bullet and shovel-pic axe- telephone installer who spades in his drop I would want to use sch 40. But with class installed correctley (meaning its buried past 8") you have at least the advantage of more flow. I dont like the idea of using ALL class. I have installed 2" Class as a main line at Smith MTN Lake. I needed the size for flow.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

:: packs bags and leave them by door::
  9. BrandonV

that's the main reason we use sch40 that and you can go back 25 years later (like my father has) install a new zone and not shatter the pipe like class 200 does.

thanks for the replies guys, feel better now. Honestly don't see much of it around here, we use pretty much sch 40 so it was a little outside of my comfort area, but I always upsize my pipe so where you'd use a 1" pr200 I'd use 1.25 sch40
  10. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

I visited your website. Seems like you do it all, but you dont know it all? Jack of all trades? Let me know. Theres a JDL in High Point to help you. And at a time like this, bidding for fun may be a joke to you, but not to everyone else.....