1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pipe rack

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jman00, Jun 4, 2003.

1. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I am wanting to build a pipe rack to put on my truck so i dont have to haul a trailer with me. Can you guys post pics of how you carry pvc pipe. I have a friend who can weld it and i want to be able to take it off when not in use.

any ideas you guys might have, maybe if you have thought about building one or have seen one that you liked anything like that.
    Does it really need to be 20' long i am sure i can have a little hangover as my 99 extended cab truck is not even 20 long. thanks for you help in advance.
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey jman here is what i do when I only need about 100'-400' pipe. I will lay the pipe on the ground then drive my truck over it and strap the pipe up and go to the job. I drive a dodge 2500 4x4. It works great. I have carried around 800-900' of 1" pipe before. You might laugh but it works good. If I need more I will bring my trailer.
  3. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

that sounds just like something i would have tried but i am trying to but out a professional look. Its amazing what a little ingenuity will bring about.

I have in the past put it over my hood and tailgate. and bungied it down. i thought i had enough tension on the cords. Well the wind blew the pipe sideways and 20' of pipe was perpendicular to my truck. this was on a back road and luckily the long side went left away from traffic. I want to be albe to carry pipe safetly and quickly. Not saying your way is wrong but what about the exhaust or something.
  4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I get some funny looks when I carry pipe like that. But it works fine.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll post a pic soon.

I heard of pipe becoming a rocket in a quick stop and going thru peoples windows and doing bad things. A bulkhead on the front of the rack is advised. Mine is removable by unbolting.
  6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

have the pipe delivered to the jobsite by your supplier.

7. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

i have done that but sometimes it is more convient and can be cheaper to just buy the pipe at the local supply house. The place i order parts is about an hour away and they deliver but i do like to go in and hangout a while and talk to them. I feel that the better friends with the guys they may give me a break some time. Plus some of the guys working there i went to school with.

The bulk head is a great idea and i was thinking about something like that. Do you guys think that is needs to be 20' long though. If anyone has any pics i would love that.

thanks for the replys so far.
  8. For my little chevy I have, All I did is mount a secure post that is bolted on to my front bumper. I already have a contractor rack for the back of the truck. When I get a chance i'll take some pics. It is removable when not in use. I'll carry 3 bundles of 25, 20ft, 3/4" (1500 ft of pipe). I always duct tape the cut bundles when loading back on truck and will secure the load at the back middle and front with bungee cords\shock cords. This will not move as I have backed up one time into the garage at my house and pushed the door off the railings.