Pipe size

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by itteitj, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. itteitj

    itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI
    Posts: 74

    I am working on an old irrigation system which the owners want to keep as it is. The home was built in the early 1900's. I installed a new system in a separate part of the property. On the old system, which is heavy wall copper, the pipe is broken in 2 places and needs to be repaired. I thought it was an easy fix until I cut out the bad section and tried to put on a coupling. It would not fit and I tried a little extra emery and still no go. I took the pipe home and put a micrometer on it and it measured 905 thousandths, while normal 3/4 inch copper tubing is about 880 thousandths. I went to two plumbing shops and no one had any fittings. I examined the rest of the old line and there are fittings sweated on in several locations but I can't find anyone who sells them. I would appreciate any help with this problem.
  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,032

    Use compression couplings. Don't drive yourself nuts.
  3. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,032

    Look like fittings for PEX tubing.
  4. Did you read it? It works for all of them....
  5. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,032

    Couldn't get the brochure to open. The teeth thingie is like Qicktite compression fittings for PEX. No reason a cood compression fitting won't work on any rigid pipe of a compatible size.
  6. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,794

    Boots nailed it, you need a compression coupler.

    I keep meaning to get a Wirsbro/Pex flare gun for my truck but keep forgetting to. I've seen the stuff more and more in the ground between wells and houses instead of poly, so I'm worried I'm going to bust one and have to pay for a plumber repair instead of paying for a the flare tool.
  7. If a compression coupling would not work for any reason, you could use flared couplings. I have used flared fittings on both K and L copper when needed.
  8. Any tips on tapping into corroded galvanized piping for your POC.
    Other than sand paper and a compression tee?

    PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member
    Posts: 246

    Londonrain They Make A Mechanical T That You Bolt To The Pipe With A U Bolt.first You Find Top Dead Center/or Side Center Use A Holesaw Drill It Plumb As You Can(it Is A Little Forgiving) Rat Tail File Burrs Inside And Out It Has A Rubber Gasket That Will Seal Just About Anything.very Heavy Use In Fire Sprinkler & Mechanical Piping. Some Of The Bolts Are Even Break-away So You Don't Over-tightin

Share This Page