pipe uncoiler

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Jim Collins, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Jim Collins

Jim Collins LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a tool that will hold 1" 300' poly pipe and uncoil auto while i pull
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

:D I'm just kididing.
  3. LMFAO....you beat me to it...dangit

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

ROFLMFAO!!!! Some would say that isn't very nice. :p
  5. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

What poly company do you use?? Last year oil creek had rolls that were wrapped in plastic and were fed from the inside. we just made a metal rack that held it in place and it unrolled itself from the inside out. Sort of like the Barron wire packs. Though once again i dont know if u guys have that there either.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody did make such a pipe holder. It wasn't cheap, and the way some poly pipe companies were over-taping their rolls, it couldn't replace a helper or two holding the coil and cutting the tape.
  7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know there is a reel in the John Deere catalog but I dont have it with me right now
  8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The few I have seen used to run 3-400 bucks. And like boots said, I've seen a lot of poly taped half way down the roll lately. A helper does more than unroll the pipe, the helper also makes sure that pipe keeps moving and you haven't lost the pipe from the grip or broken it. Yes, sad to say, but the clay here is so tight that when wet, sometimes you can stretch the poly to breaking point. As to unrolling poly..........I prefer, even when I have a helper to uncoil 3-4 loops and then turn the roll 180 degrees, unroll 3-4 loops, turn the roll 180 degrees until I have more than enough poly out for the upcomming pull. By alternating the direction of the coil, you don't have to baby sit the poly going into the ground. I tend to stretch the pipe in a direction where I can see it so I have a better chance of knowing the pipe is still moving. FWIW, you can even stretch the pipe toward the direction you are pulling. Just don't let enough tension get into it to cause friction at entry. If you have plenty of pipe uncoiled, this isn't a problem.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't find one at the price you're willing to pay take your idea to a fabricator. Maybe he/she can weld you up something to your liking. We did this with our 2500' spools of 14 gauge wire. Our mechanic fabricated a wire wheel that holds four spools on bars and the spools freely unwind when we pull the wire. The whole thing is on pneumatic tires and has a handlebar so we can wheel it around where we need to after unloading from the trailer. Works slick!
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not as slick as a single roll of multiconductor :D

I know......I know......

The only time I've plowed poly, it was 200 psi 1", so unrolling it was a incredible chore.

I unrolled it, laid it out and plowed it in. We just got a blade that can lay it instead of pulling it, so we are going to reexamine poly to replace PVC.