Pipe under entrance walkway

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Splicer, May 12, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

What would be the easiest fastest best method to pull/push/place 4" schedule 40 pipe under an existing (tho new build) entranceway walk? It needs to go about 3 feet. I don't want to mess with the weight integrity of the sidewalk by digging but may have no choice?:confused:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the walkway is concrete, you can dig under it without much worry. Concrete seems to support its own weight no matter what.

3. Splicer

But over time what about settling/collapse? Thanks for respondng...What about the weight of refrigerators (as an example)?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't see many/any collapsed concrete sidewalks, and never any where I've jetted (water power) a pipe or two under a concrete walkway. And I know I left some airspace under there. Maybe it just works out that a sidewalk thick enough to not crack on its own will stand up to being tunneled under. If the walk is only three feet wide, you could easily backfill/pack some gravel or sand around your sleeve.

5. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

It clings to 3/8" rebar like ugly clings to an ape

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete has a lot of structural integrity due to the rebar reinforcement. The worst that may happen will be a hairline crack on the surface directly under where you dug.

Asphalt, on the other hand, should be bored in such a way that you will not leave any voids.

We have dug under many many sidewalks by hand.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Wash or blow it through.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are lucky that it works there. We have so many rocks up here that the only option is to dig or bore it.

9. Splicer

:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

You should have no problem tunneling under a concrete walk. Vermeer make a hammer mole if you want to go that far. We have a 2.5 and a 4 in. mole, they work great just as long as it's not sandy or rocky.

If you have to dig it by hand, make sure you dig back about 5 ft from the walk,both sides, to insure you get a straight shot to the other side. Just dig half way on one side then go to the other side and finish.
    I take about three shovel full's of dirt a throught it under the walk. Then I take a sledge hammer and pack it in. or you could use your toe of your boot.

AndersonTurfIrrigation.com