pipetracking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What is one to do when you are ruggedly handsome? :)

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Awe shucks Chief, thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

a metal fish will still locate with it inside water easy peasy .

What about inducing sea salt into the water- wouldn't that give it a higher conductivity? or am I talking out of my butt?

4. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

but will the signal only be "detectable" for as far as the fish is inserted into the pipe, ie, if the fish is inserted 2 yards into the line, hot wire connected to the fish above ground, will the reciever only detech around the 2 yard distance for which the fish is inserted?

or

is water itself conductive? thereby causing the signal to emit from the entire underground piping system?

5. RhettMan

from Texas

nevermind, found this

"Since electrical current is defined as the number of charges (ions or electrons) passing a point per unit time...then there can NOT be any charge flow in water...that simple...water does not conduct electricity!"

well that sucks.

so rd5000 is the best way to track a closed/non-conductor-inserted pvc pipe..?

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Sometimes the water is conductive. Like I said, you need to play with it. My experience is that there aren't any hard and fast rules on this. Actually, there probably are but I don't have the appropriate degrees to tell you what they are.

7. RhettMan

from Texas

i THINK I have noticed the 521 ring out differently when tracing in saturated ground & wet valve boxes vs. in drier conditions, but i have not tried specifically to charge water before.

though!
    I have inserted 14 ga. into a pipe before for tracing purposes, i cannot remember how much water was inside,

I DO however THINK i remember the signal dieing off with the terminating end of the wire inserted into the pipe.

It seems the wire insertion idea was abandoned at that time and until now due to elbows, which must be the reason for the fish tape instead...

an irrigation elbow seems so much harder a turn than an electrical conduit elbow, does the fish tape not get stuck and bound?

lol this is all crap.....!

perhaps i should have just ending the inquiry it at jim's recommendation of the rd5000.

serves me right i suppose.

8. RhettMan

from Texas

My apploogies :waving:

cash for title loan it is

9. RhettMan

from Texas

wait a minute, so even a rd5000 needs a metalic conductor in order to trace??

if you gotta insert a metallic conductor iunto the pipe why the hell not just go with a 521?

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What pipe is so utterly valuable that you can't just break it and repair it later, as opposed to weeks of planning and thousands in equipment to locate it?