pipetracking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

because pipes are like you boots,

they dont shoot straight, and lead you all over the . . place before you finally get somewhere, taking turns here, turns there, and lose fish tape in the mix.

where is my medication...

thats it, time for a good movie-preview-website and bed. :cool2:
    ___
    P.S. I just realized: Holy ship, Boots did it again, in the same form....although, Jim beat him too it.
    I love this website.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!

p.s.s what do you mean weeks of planning??? :confused:

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Rhett the RD5000 uses what they call a Transonde to create a low frequency pressure wave that is located acoustically with a receiver.

The transonde attaches to a hose bib, a water meter or fire hydrant. each attachment kit is separate.

I have the manual if you would like it.

NO INSERTION IS REQUIRED.

You are fretting over something you can do with practice and a couple welding rods.

Boots has been harping on water filled pipe locating since before i got here i think. He didn't answer the question of tape resistance though. Everyone knows that copper is used for its current carrying abilities. water has zip to do with the signal.

Watch the video a few times and try it out yourself.

I would have an RD5000 if i thought i needed one. I seem to be able to get by real well with voodoo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not entirely true, unless you think all water is deionized and/or pure. The ability of water to conduct electricity depends on the concentration of ions in solution. More ions in solution, lower resistivity.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The resistance of the fish tape is less than one might think. Less than 10 ohms for the 200-foot tapes I have. http://www.allmeasures.com/formulae/static/materials/31/electrical_resistivity.htm

5. Wet_Boots

It would help if the locate problem was described in more detail. If someone wanted me to locate every foot of the half-mile of pipe that exists in a residential lawn sprinkler installation, the first thing I'll say is "Why?"

6. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I agree.

Why?

Why is it near impossible to get radiodetection to say/confirm that the rd5000 will infact find pipe without a tracer wire involved? confirm PVC Only?

Its as if they dont want to sell it....

Why?
    ____

because it would be profitable to track pipe.....

I am digging up laterals by the mile everyday, and im sick of it.

______

my question is,

why dont yall just tell the guy to swap the damn diaphram, solenoid and bonnet at the same time, its cheaper anyway.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Wet_Boots

For a hefty fee, I'd locate every foot of the pipe, but that isn't cost effective for a customer who only wants to plant a lilac bush.

Sometimes, I don't want to locate the pipe. I sometimes have to fix a poor-performance problem caused by tree roots choking a pipe. I know the problem is between point A and B, but between points A and B are endless amounts of shallow roots feeding a specimen plant worth more than a Mercedes. I run a new pipe the long way around, and the specimen remains undisturbed.

There may come a day where plastic pipe can be traced as though it were a copper conductor, by way of making the poly pipe an electric conductor, but that's a ways off.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

RD5000 DON'T NEED NO STINKIN WIRE
    :gunsfiring:
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

You sure you got your model numbers correct, Mister Cogburn?

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

RD500 i stand corrected Mister BadgerBadger

Typo on the manual i have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I'm gonna need medication after this thread.....gimme some badgers