piping question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Aug 21, 2010.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have been asked to give a price for a dust control system on a horse sand track. The track is about 2400' oval and 25' wide. They said they want a row of heads on the outside throwing in. my source is a diesel powered well with an output of about 400 gpm. I figure about 90 to 100 heads.

My question is how would you guys pipe this. I made a crude drawing of the how I think the pipe would go. But I don't want to tap the 6" and 4" for every head so I was thinking of running a loop of 1 1/2" poly around as well and putting the heads on the poly and tapping it in to the pvc every 200' or so. This is bigger than what I usually do so be nice:). Also keep in mind that this is a manual system and will be one zone. Also this is the google pic http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.956061,-72.337922&spn=0.001596,0.004823&t=h&z=18 Thanks

track.jpg

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

we installed a system on a 100' x 330' dressage arena 2-3 years ago, falcons @ 50' around the pen, 2" pipe loop municipal water, manual valves.

friggin thing works great, head to head is not a requirement for dust control for sand based pens.

btw, the falcons are attached to the posts and each have a drain installed in the sched 80 riser

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

How many heads do they want to run at one time?
    I'd probably tap in to the 4" and 6" for every head in this case.
    What kind of controls does the well have? If it's 400 gpm or nothing then you'd better take that into consideration.

4. greenmonster304

I figured on running them all at once. The pump max is around 400 gpm but you can lower the rpms to meet your needs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Just pipe in series 600 Toro valve in head irrigation heads commonly used on golf courses.
    Around 30 gpm each, sprays around 80-90 feet, one controller will easily operate all of them especially a two-wire system.
    Personally I would tee off of the main direct into each head.

6. greenmonster304

It only needs to water a track that is 25' wide so anything more would be a waste of water. I was thinking of using a 6" I20 or 5006 SS. That's why I didn't want to tap for every head unless there is some kind of adapter that can be drilled into 6" and 4" pvc because 90 6"x1" tees would get quite pricey
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How would you be tapping into the poly pipe? Blazing saddles? I suspect you would be making a connection closer than every 200 feet, if you tried an inner loop.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice area! Appear to have good mower operators too!

track.jpg

9. greenmonster304

Where do you get those picks
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Pictometry. Coolest thing around.