Piping under asphalt

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by enorl76, May 13, 2014.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Used one of those back late 90s, early 2000s. Not a big fan of it. Ok for short runs like sidewalks, not driveways.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I've had one for about ten years. Beat me half to death in the rocks we have. I'm not recommending it or recommending against it. Did not work well in our soils.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Never had any real luck with the borzit. The sidewalk sleevers are slick. Have you looked into renting a mole? It seems most rental places have them available.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember my dad having one of these around back in the mid 80's. Always seemed like a disaster waiting to happen to me. An electric drill, water, metal pipe and a hole in the ground..... seems real safe. :dizzy: Just thinking of the potential liability for employee injury makes me cringe.

5. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would work out the cost involved by only doing the bores to the island, and running multiple pipes. Coming from running an extra hundred(s) of feet of pulled poly in order to avoid driveway crossings, I know the extra pipe was a lot less money than messing with the driveway.

If the boring service can do a 4-inch bore for that per-foot price, they might be the better deal.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  7. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly late to the party here and this is just an option, not necessarily me telling you your business. Asphalt cuts very easy with a rented concrete saw and it's usually not terribly thick. It is also very easy to patch and basically not even look like you were ever there. For $200 in asphalt patch and a rented concrete saw $150, 2-3 hours in total labor, you could present an option that is 1/3 the price to the homeowner.

8. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

Couldnt you keep it to two sleeves by installing the two in the island and installing the mainline through them? Go under the wall on both sides of the driveway. Main line would be in the shape of a "U" on your page.

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

The implement will migrate upward if it hits rock and will come up easily through the asphalt...used it to cross a 30 ft cement driveway...several times we thought it would come up through the cement.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

^^^^^^ This is what I was thinking....
    Posted via Mobile Device