Piranha 48 belt drive

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Suburban Cowboy, May 12, 2008.

1. Suburban Cowboy

Suburban Cowboy LawnSite Member

So, hemming and hawing all winter I decided to buy a new belt driver instead of the cheap cub cadet - Troy built - White Outdoor style mower.

I just could not part with the money on a hydro rider that I just wasn't all that sure about not too mention 5 more bills for the catcher.

So, after running a 1984 Scag for several years I bought a mower called a Piranha. Yeah, I know it is also a Bradley - Red Hawk - etc. The thing is: It has a 15 hp. twin cylinder Kawaski -which I like and also comes with the same peerless 5 speed tranny as many others. Being a scag lover I also liked the fact that it is orange.

I cut around 15 lawns per week and so far I really like the machine.
    It cost 1999.00 (Home and garden show price)

The only negatives that I see are this: the deck is very strong, but the fit and finish of some of the deck joints could be just a little better. I am not complaining, just telling what I see, also the catcher drags a little more than I would like it too when the terrain is not equal.

The motor is quiet and the peerless is fast. The deck leaves a nice stripe.

I grease and sharpen every week too!

When I add another mower in the future I will probably buy another one.

If you adjust the handles correctly the pistol grips are not bad on the hands as some people have stated.

I still love the Scags, but I am trying to make some money here too! Therefore, for me, the Piranha was a no brainer. Thats my story and I am stickin to it!

Artistic Touch Landscaping
    2004 Ford F150 STX
    Piranha 48"
    Jungle Wheels Sulky
    Stihl 380 Backpack - 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Stihl FS 55 Line Trimmer- 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Stihl BG 55 Hand Held blower- 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Toro 21" push mower
    One hot wife
    Hensim Mini Quads (my kids)
    Honda MX bikes