1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Piranha Mower? 36" vs. 48"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by waldo98998, Sep 7, 2005.

1. waldo98998

waldo98998 LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hello everybody,
    I am new to this site and have found it very helpful in getting my new business started.

I am about to purchase my first commercial mower and was wondering if anyone has used, heard of, or has any insite on Piranha mowers @ www.piranhamower.com ?

Also, what would everyone recomend for average yards in the Atlanta aera, 48" or 36" deck?

Again, Thanks for your help!
  2. mike101

mike101 LawnSite Member
    from ga

3. SFL Lawn & Landscape

SFL Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I own a 36" and it is awesome. Use it everyday and it has yet to have a problem. The 15 HP Kawasaki is a great engine. I have had mine for a few months now and it is my main mower. 36" is great for gates to so I would go with that. The mowers are made by Green Touch Industries and they make a lot of organizer racks for trailers. They have been in business for a while so I am pretty confident that these mowers will be around for a while.
  4. TripleT'sLawnCare

TripleT'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

If this is the only mower you are going to use I would go with the 36". You can get this into 99% of back yards. If you have very few back yards and don't mind using a 21" push mower every once in a while then I would go with the largest deck you can get a way with. The larger the deck the more time you save.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'm just old fashioned and for that reason will not buy an unproven machine, but as far as size, both my mowers today are Proline 48"s and here's the reasons:
    - 25% more PATH cleared per each pass means I'm done cutting faster.
    - Far as gates, the 48" fits through at LEAST half (more like 90%) of all 4-foot gates.
    - Toro brand means T-bar controls vs. pistol-grips (like power steering vs. manual).
    Due to the above, there aren't enough 3-foot gates out there to make me even want to consider a smaller machine, all it would do is slow me down in an overall way and you don't see any established Lco with anything that small, it's always the new guys.
    A 36" to a 48" is literally 3 to 4, thus for a larger lot where the 48" makes 6 passes, the 36" will have to make 8 passes, I am done 2 passes earlier and that's 4-5 minutes per yard, what happens when you gotta go over everything twice? Time is one of the biggest cost factors in the business and another way to say it is, you can ALWAYS buy a used 36", they're literally a dime a dozen but the larger 44-52" sizes are comparatively rare and when you stop and think about it, the reason the 36" is a dime a dozen makes a wicked kind of sense: they're not as good for the business, they're being sold because the owner finally figured it out.

One more point of interest: 3-foot gated sections are roughly like bagging grass: You can't get but maybe 5 more dollars out of the customer yet it will take you TWICE as long to cut those sections due to the fact of a small mower, which is another reason you only see the noobs in those yards (no offense guys, I speak only from what I casually observe on my day-to-day routes).