Piranha mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpr_specials, Jul 15, 2005.

1. dpr_specials

dpr_specials LawnSite Member

Is there anyone that has ever used a piranha mower or heard about one. I am looking at spending a decent amount of money when I buy a walk behind belt drive. I cannot really afford hydro right now, so I am going with a belt drive. The main reason I am going to go with a walk behind belt drive is because I am just a home owner needing to cut 9 yards every two weeks. I still like the scag,exmark, and yazoo. Here is a website for piranha mower www.piranhamowers.com, I have talk to several small engine repair shop and they said the seen it at a trade show in Kentucky. They told me that the have been manufacturing for only 1 year, but everything is equal to scag, exmark, etc. It is powder coated, at least. :waving:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The website is right, this mower has been around for many years under different names. Black Rock, The Landscaper and a few others. It's a "kit" mower. The main mower parts (deck, frame, handle bars etc) are built in China and then assembled here by whoever wants to be in the mower biz that week. Some of the parts may be the same as Scag and Exmark but the overall engineering of the mower is over 10 years old. I would buy a used Exmark before I bought one of those brandnew if for no other reason then you may not be able to buy parts for it next week.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

If i were you i would go with a more established company suck as exmark toro scag etc.... becouse of the availibility of parts and resale value . Just my .02

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought one years ago under the name "the landscaper" we had a Landscaper supply company right down the road that stocked these mowers the hydro version and even ZTR's. I still have the mower to this day as a backup.It actually leaves a nice stripe. The only problem is.. like said in another post the overall engineering is old and its not as easy as it used to be to get replacement parts. Ive also had to get the deck welded twice because of cracking..

I think you would be better off getting a more expensive mower like a scag/exmark the belt drives arent too much money and will last much longer.If anything goes wrong you will have a dealer nearby that can help you out.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They are Even Cheaper from Ballard....Cheap Mowers Made in China by Chinese Communists Workers Living in Repression.. Ballard Should Hang His Head...He's the Kathy Lee Gifford of the Green Industry.

http://www.ballard-inc.com/piranha.htm

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The deck and frame is likely made of a thinner gauge steel than a quality mower, maybe the paint is cheaper and thinner. You look at the paint on a Toro, that stuff is 1/4 inch thick, tough stuff and the deck is 10-gauge with a 7-gauge skirt... You can jump curbs and do stunts and get downright stupid with a toro for 5-7 years before the deck develops its first cracks, which is normal for a fixed deck and you can still use it many years after the cracks start.

What I would like to do is put a Piranha through the same paces I put my Toros through, but I don't suppose they'd let me have one for testing. That and it's just not the same thing without the T-bar.