1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pissed off about a potential customer and a lowballer!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by growitmowitlawncare, Apr 26, 2008.

1. growitmowitlawncare

growitmowitlawncare LawnSite Member

So I get this call on Monday, and its a lady who lives less then a mile from the shop. She asks of course, "what is the price for you to mow my lawn" over the phone. I tell her I would have to come out and look at it and then I would be able to give her a price.

Well she tells me she doesn't get home till about 8pm each night, eats dinner right when she gets home and asks if I can come by and talk to her around 9pm. I say sure but told her I could just look at it during the day and call her back to give her a price. She says she wants to meet me so I say ok and I go meet her the next night at 9pm. Before then I drive by while she is at work and it is a 2.5 acre lawn.

I get there at 8:55pm and she doesn't answer the door. I call her cell phone and she says she is eating so she will be out in like 5 minutes. I say ok and wait in the driveway.

Its completely dark now and when she comes out we talk for a minute and then I ask her what she is looking for, or what she has had done in the past(she told me she had someone else mowing last season).

She says she had a deal with the last guy, she would call him and he would mow it within a couple of days for $30. I asked who she had doing it and she said a guys name, who I know, who lost his job with the university and starting lowballing the crap out of everyone for mowing and for plowing. She says he didn't always do a good job but it was only $30. She then told me that she would have him do it but he went out of business, sold most of his accounts and equipment, and moved to Colorado.

I said well he must have been doing something wrong to go out of business. I told her I would cut it for $35 every 14 days. She looked at me like I was crazy. I gave her my card and my little bid sheet, she says she would call me the next day to let me know.

I drive by the house at 2pm the next day and there are two guys mowing it with walk-behinds from the local pool installer at the house. The pool guy hasn't had to much work so he is now lowballing lawn care to keep guys busy.

Just another story of guys out of work that ruin it for everyone else.......

On a sidenote, picked up two more full service accounts the next day.
  2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I hate going out and giving them a price and talking to them, and then someone else is doing it. You should charge her for your time.
  3. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I absolutely detest the people that price shop.Why? Im not going to be the cheap guy, so somebody who calls 3 or 4 LCOs is never going to give me the job, so Im usually giving a bid to a lost cause.Back when I started I landed almost every account I bid on-I didnt know my costs and all I wanted to do was fill my schedule with WORK.I got work alright lol.Lawnsite taught me one thing I think of everytime I talk to a new customer.Dont worry about the other guy,charge what you feel the job has to be for you to profit.Over time your schedule fills with customers that you can make money on.
  4. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

2.5 acres, every 14 days for $35.00. Is that correct? I would have told her at least $85-$95 every week!
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

No kidding!

Hell, the creator of this thread sounds like a lowballer to me!
  6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

2.5 acres for $35.00? Holy sheot!!!! Glad I'm not in that area.
  7. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

He got out lowballed!
  8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Fitting ! 2.5 acres every two weeks? How can anyone profit from that, not to mention doing it for *less* ! Unbelievable.
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya 2.5 acres id stay home even more so for 30 bucks are you nuts.
  10. growitmowitlawncare

growitmowitlawncare LawnSite Member

I forgot to add that the reason I gave her $35 as a bid was because she could get me more work through the realtor company she worked for. Whatever, she was definately not worth my time and I know my price was way low but still she went lower and this is the kind of bull crap that makes me feel like I have to give lowball prices.