Pissed off by company of customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MP350, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Went to mow one of my customers today and they have had company visiting for 3 weeks staying it the driveway in a RV. I am just starting to blow off the driveway and the guy comes over and said look at what your weedeater did to my sewer hose, now the grass is still about 3" tall around the sewer hose because I knew what would happen if I tried to weedeat around it. He wants $20 bucks for a new hose, I said I didn't tear it up but I'll give you $4 bucks for it because that's what they cost at Walmart.He said either I give him the $20 bucks or they will deduct it from my bill. So after a little thought I walked back over to him and said heres $5 bucks and I call code enforcement to make you move your RV. I know that wasn't a very professional way to handle it, but I don't like being called a liar.So that was my day.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so u gave him $5. nice. you should have apologized, gave him $20, and baked him cookies.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So did you damage it? Or did you skip around that area?
  4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

At least your still cutting :waving:
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

so you're out 5 bucks AND likely a customer. seems reasonable....
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have said "Go buy a new one and I'll buy the receipt from you." That way he gets the correct part and you write it off as expense. I know that wouldn't make you happy but I don't think you were very happy when you got out of bed that day eather. It just isn't worth it. Take care of business and get on with your life.
  7. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Did you inspect the hose for damage and if your sure that neither you or one of your guy's did in the 3 week's that he has been their then explain to the homeowner who is your costumer what happened!
  8. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

costumer? what was he wearing? lol sorry i couldn't resist
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby Gedd, can't you give him the correct code and amount for "Motorhome on property SURCHARGE"? Got to be more than $20!

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, I'd have offered to insert that sewer hose up is @ss for him!

1. He's not the client.
    2. You didn't damage it.

So tell him to "get lost" or F' off !