Pissing people off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ajays, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

How do you set up clients on a contract without pissing them off? I'de like to start setting up new clients on contracts cause this drought is killing me. The problem is that people around here don't want to pay for work not done. I have mentioned the concept to a few clients and they told me they would never sign a contract. How do you go about doing it?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

With every new customer I pickup, I offer them both options: by the cut or monthly. I let them decide. Most of them choose a monthly contract. It really does not matter to me one way or the other as far as residentials go. My commercial contracts carry me through the slow times.

3. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

Is there any way you can politely request clients for contract basis... residential?

4. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Some of you guys will say I am crazy but don't worry with a contract if the people don't want to sign one. A contract is just a piece of paper. Every lawyer in the world will tell you that all a contract will do is slow things down in court. People can get out of a contract if they want to because there is always a hole in the things anyway.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

boy when i read this title,i thought .finally something i know somethin about. p------
    people off. but i cant get mine to sign
    contracts ,so striking out again:)

6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I gave up trying to get folks to sign contracts, heck you can't even get them to sign the estimate aggreeing to a price, so now I just give them a business card with a price scribled on the back for the cost per visit...... saves me money on estimate forms .

7. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

lol awm

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

last year i started a few people on contracts, this year almost all r on them. i dont ask my long time customers to sign, but new ones do. i personally think it is very important to have them. on a few occasions ive tried to file a complaint with the police on deadbeats, and they always ask the same question:" do u have a contract? no, well, not much we can do..... i believe getting people to sign is all in the way u aproach the subject, and how u word your approach. never, ever use the word" contract". i say "service agreement". anyhow, im about 28 for 30 on this over the last 2 years. one lady i gave option # 2, leave me cash every week. another, i told to kiss my butt! im finding it very easy to get them to sign

9. marcie

marcie LawnSite Member

I haven't used contracts in the past but I am interested in giving them a try and not just to carry me through in slow times but I just hate it when a client decides they are going to cut back on their expenses and decide to only have their grass cut every other week.............. my name is on a job that looks awful half the time and of course they still only want to pay for the "one cut" yet you are either stuck cutting several times to make it look good or you leave grass laying............ what to do big problem is the cheap clients usually have big mouths and a large audience.......... so you look like the bad guy no matter what

10. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

If you think you can, or you think you can't......

You're right.

It's a mind set of how you will do business.