Pistol Grip question - Always CUTTING my hands up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, anyone out there using Pistol grips that ALWAYS have cuts on their thumbs? At the first knuckle on my thumb on both hands, I always have a cut. I think that's from the "parking brake/neutral/drive" lever that I rub against on my grip.. And I ALWAYS have on the top of my second knuckle on my thumb as well cause of the same latch..

One might be caused by the operator presence bar, but I was wondering is it just me?

I feel like I could knock off a layer of skin off my thumb with no problem, especially in the dry, cold weather and I don't even feel it until I see the blood later..

Anyone else do the same thing??

Thanks..
    Gary

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Come up to my house and I'll let you demo my Hustlers. No more hand problems ever again...............I'm between Somerville and Morristown...........

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

When i first learned Pistol Grips , i was bleeding everyday on my thumbs, but not anymore , not sure why i dont get cut anymore. Try holding your hand back some.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used pistol grips until I recently bought a TTHP with ECS controls. I can't remember the pistol grips being that bad once you get used to them, but I have to say the ECS controls are a very nice improvement over pistols.

5. Doogiegh

I'd love to get a TTHP next spring.. We'll see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, the pistol's aren't bad.. Just causes cuts on both of my knuckles on my thumbs all the time.. Not too bad though.. Just wasn't sure if you guys had similar experiences..

Gary

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I converted all my older pistol Tracers to ECS.

No more pistols ever!

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotten cut up knuckles from the nuetral latch, but only when I hit large bumps or unseen obsticles,(like a tree root sticking up)
    usually followed by some bad words:mad: :blob2: :dizzy:

I have'nt had that happen with normal use though:)

Try holding the grips a little farther back, and watch those rough spots:D .

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I converted my pistol grips to Toro T bars. No more down hill runaway. Goes backwards, works in the rain. Ed

9. Doogiegh

Yes, that's what I think happens..

I hit something, like a tree stump. Mower stops going forward. I'm on the proslide and my momentum wacks me into the bars. <G>

Oh well..

Maybe I gotta switch to ECS. <G>

Gary

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have never gotten any cuts from my Scag WB. Your forarms do get a work out if you have alot to go around but that gets your arms more built like a LAWNMAN's should be. :D They are so easy to use once you get used to them, no complaints here. :cool:
    Matt