1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pistol grip question!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy48195, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Lawnboy48195

Lawnboy48195 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first walk behind today, got a 36" Toro fixed deck with pistol grips and I absolutely love it! I cut 12 residential lawns today and my hands are killing me and I can tell I'm going to have blisters because of the pistol grips - is this common?

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You should have bought the exmark with the ECS. Their awesome.
  3. KC MOW

KC MOW LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thats normal. Your forearms will get strong. For blisters wear light gloves like Mechanic gloves. I had same problem
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I had the same issue with pistol grips ... get some gloves and you should be OK !!
  5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Get used to it, in a week or 2 little less pain because of calis
  6. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

You will develop some nice callouses that will stop your hands from blistering. Your forearms will get used to it, and stop hurting as much.

My callouses get very thick after a short time, and I need to slice the top 1/16" or so off with a razor blade about once a week. Then I use a pumice stone to smooth things out, at the end of a hot shower (after the hot water has had time to soften the callouses a bit).
  7. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

yes its common - gloves do the trick
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Should have gotten the tbar. duh;)

Is it a turbo force deck??
  9. Lawnboy48195

Lawnboy48195 LawnSite Member

Yes, it's the turbo force deck. I was inquiring about the T bar but the dealership only had the pistol grips and he made a comment about how the T bars weren't selling last year so they went with pistol.
  10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure your ground speed is not set to fast, so you don't have to maintain forward speed with your hands. Let your speed controller do that. Then the only time you use your grips is to turn. Also for small corrections in directions you can just pull or lean on one side and correct your direction without using the controls at all.(Also now as over driving).

Just few tips to help, but i dose take some geting use to.