Pistol Grip question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

When using a walk behind that has pistol grips, and you're actually walking, not using a velky/sulky/pro-slide, how do you make corrections in your path if they are small..

I assume that you use a couple of fingers on the drive levers to hit the brakes on the side you want to turn towards..

But the other day I also found that it was just as easy to give a little bit of shoulder twist onto the handlebar grips as well and use body muscle to turn the machine just a tad as well.

I'm talking changes in direction real small..

Do you constantly keep a couple of fingers on the levers, or do you just walk, maybe even use only 1 hand and let the other hand rest or something?

I know it sounds like a silly question.

But remember in drivers ed in school, you're supposed to keep both hands on the wheel at all times at the 9 and 2 position. <G> Yeah, right.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

No need to muscle the machine around, let it do the work for you. Yeah, you can make small corrections without using the levers, but unless you're swatting a mosquitto, why would you? Trying to save your brakes?

I will say that having spent a lot of hours behind equipment with no turning brakes (2 wheel tractor/sickle mower, rototiller and push mowers) it was a hard habbit for me to break (muscling machines around), but well worth it. With a hydro machine, the temptation isn't even there.

3. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Let the Machine do the work. like you said use light pressure to make slight corrections.

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I use the brakes to make corrections. The tires/wheels on my 32" Bob-Cat are smaller than most and it doesn't take much to bump it off the stripe pattern. I'm assuming the larger tires on hydros aren't affected as much by these little bumps?