Pistol Grips on Exmark vs. ECS Grips / 20 Kohler vs. 23 Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ace LawnScapes, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Ace LawnScapes

Ace LawnScapes LawnSite Member

I'm considering purchasing an eXmark Turf Tracer HP and wondered what the thoughts are out there regarding pistol grips vs. the ECS grips.

I understand the upside of the ECS keeping your hands out of harm way, other than that, please give me some comments pro or con regarding the ECS. If you've used both pistol and ECS, which do you prefer?

Also, to Exmark Lazer Z users: which would you recommend, the 20 Kohler or the 23 Kawasaki, and why?

Thanks!
    Ace :D

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The 20hp kohler should be plenty for a walkbehind. How big of a deck are you going to get? I ran a kohler on an old woods mow n machine it was an 85' model with a 12hp on it, I also have a Toro that is about 3 years old with the 17hp Kawisaki and I seem to have more trouble with the Kawisaki.

I don't have any experience with the ECS, but I do have with the pistol grip, the ECS would be nice if you have a sulky because you wouldn't be leaning over but that is just my opinion.

3. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Go with the ecs!!! As far as engines go, i have both engines but i prefer the kawa. Runs smoother and i have had better luck with the kaw than the kohler(bads rings at 750 hours). Think of 23 horses as more speed and power.

4. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

20 hp Kohler or 23 kaw, I would get the 23 Kaw. I don't ahve that much experience with engines that big.

As far as ECS I have a lot of experience. Listen to me ECS SUCKS! You might as well buy a toro w/tbar. All you are doing with ecs is pointing the mower in the direction you want to go, you have no control and you can't "muscle" the machine if you want to lift the deck up. If all you are going to mow are lawns that are as smooth and flat as putting greens, the get the ecs. If you are going to mow real lawns get pistol grips.

Exmark is making a big mistake if they are banking on ECS.

To reitterate -- ECS Sucks!

Ron

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ace
    My Turf Tracer Has the 23 Kohler On a 60" Try deck It Is A Great engine. The New Kohler's Are a lot better Then before. If You Are Getting A 52 20 kohler is fine if You are getting a 60' get the 23 kohler With the gold lettering. Very Good starting in cold and very powerfull And smooth.
    The New turf Tracer Is a Great Mowwer That Got even better My hat's off To Every body at exmark.
    Johnny G.:blob4:

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Got to agree w RB go with the T bar Toro. My 52 Lesco has a T bar
    its easier to pull the T to stop than to squeeze two handles.
    If you let go of a T the machine stops. with pistol or ECS it will move for a few feet. maybe into the pool or flowers??Ed