1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pistol grips vs ECS

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Blessed 1, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I on the verge of buying a 32/36 Metro walk behind trim mower. What is the difference in price for the ECS vs pistol grips?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think it is $200-$300 in difference. Contact your dealer for info...
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

For 04 the pistol grips are about $100 less than the ECS controls. I'm not sure how they'll match up as ECS becomes more widely accepted.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I now have a 36" Exmark viking, but am considering adding a 48". One of my choices is a TTHP, but I get the impression that all of them are equipped with ECS. I want pistol grips because I like the postion and the leverage to "drive" the machine, able to make small adjustments without feathering the hydro. I can make much straighter passes across a lawn keeping my fingers OFF the hydro (unless the terrain is steep in some parts).

If ECS is the only offering for TTHP, I may consider a Ferris or Hustler. Are my perceptions right, both for availability and machine control?
  5. eXmark

There is a perception that the ECS offers less control however it is rare to have anyone go back to pistol grips once they've used the ECS for a week or so.

Generally it's very difficult to make any adjustments in directions (even slight) on a hydro without touching the controls. The drive system is extremely powerful and generally over powers any "muscleling" most operators can give the machine.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with the ECS but you might be suprised how much you like it once you get accustomed to a new way of operating the machine.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Was wondering if you could give me an idea of price for a metro with and without the ECS system.
  7. eXmark

The 36" with a 13 hp kawasaki is around $2600. You can add another $100 for the ECS controls.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try Them

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I did try them John and thats why I am going to have the ones I have on my metro replaced with piston grips and its why I have to get a turf tracer with the 20 hp instead of the 23 hp since its the only model with the piston grips as an option in the hydros. I found them much more Painfull over the course of a full day. They are find for a yard or 2 but when you do more then that it gets old real fast.
  10. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a exmark 36 metro yesterday. Got the ECS for the same price as the handles......2100