1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pistol grips?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DylanK, Jun 18, 2006.

1. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

how do people find them? next year i am going to buy a quick 36 probably along with a sulky... so how is turning using pistol grips and a sulky? thanks a lot
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I don't like pistol grips or sulkys, I went stander and couldn't be happier. Standers get the job done professionally and fast. I'll never go back to belt drives, pistol grips or sulkys what a nightmare.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The stander is a nice machine thou I find it pricey, I will not argue about the comfort and no-nonsense approach of this class-A machine.

As for myself, belt-driven T-bar operated Toros only. I will not, I absolutely categorically refuse to use anything but a T-bar - NO pistol grips, no ECS and no BS lol.

Thou I hear say the H-bar and the Z-bar are nice, I'd have to try them to see if they're all that, they do appear to have something that is better than those lousy pistol grip / ecs controls.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

You have to be careful when turning a pistol gri machine, it seems the handlebars will get ya sometimes. I have a toro with a t-bar and the way the controls are, there are no handle bars to poke you. I have a scag pistol grip walkbehind also, great mower.........I hate the pistol grips though

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a big fan of pistol grip machines but I run them anyway and get over it! The Snapper loop handle set-up is nice as is the Toro T-Bar but my next machine will be a hydro, unfortinatly a pistol grip hydro. JMO
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I find that with my feet a bit higher on a sulky, there is more stress on the wrists using pistols as compared to walking behind the mower (at the same handlebar setting). With ECS, no problem.
  7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

smart man instead of wasting money to swithc a mower u deal with it and eventually get use to it
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a big favor and try a hustler WB with thier H-Bar controls.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have never used walkbehinds other than pistol grips, so I can't compare them. My pistol grip mowers work fine.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Most wb have a ton of adjustment areas. If it's set up right it's not bad. Same with the sulky, adjustable. Unless you're unusually tall or short, you can make it comfortable.
    I bought a used Bob-Cat 36 from my dealer and he had the grips set up so it really took a handfull to use the grips. I can understand where the aversion to pistol grips comes from.