1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pistol grips?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Sep 15, 2007.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have been on here for years saying pistol grips are history, I myself have bought the Snapper Loop steering mowers, Exmark w/ ECS, and Bunton w/ Z controls. But I demoed a Lesco with pistols the other day, and they are light as a feather! Have pistols been getting lighter and lighter without much fanfare, or what? I'm actually considering going back to them. My only problem would be hitting trees/obstacles with my hands. That would be more than madee up for though, with the ability to push the mower down easier to climb curbs/mulch piles of leaves.

I also want to demo a Scag w/ pistols. I have loved my older Scags - I would always get perfect turns (no divots, perfect balance on the maching) with my Scag hydro wb -- it's just that in the past one had to be Hercules to operate the controls all day long. But if they are now as light as the Lesco, I may get one next year.

As a matter of fact, in a Scag brochure a few years back, in the WB section, they mentioned that while other manufacturers were pushing mowers with newly styled controls, Scag would keep offering and improving upon standard pistol grips.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This might seem odd, but our bodies adjust to the work.

My first 2-3 years a lot of things used to just kill me, try dealing with a straight axle walk-behind core aerator, even unloading and spreading a pile of mulch used to take 4-5 hours.

But today the aerator hardly bothers me, and it seems mulch got lighter, too. :laugh:
    Takes me all of 2 hours to unload and spread that same pile, if it takes that long it's because I threw the edging in.

I'm thinking that could be it.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The levers on my Ferris GD 36 were very difficult to pull in when I first got it. I just made a couple of brackets that gave them more leverage over the brakes and clutches and everything is fine now. Exmark gear drives comes with adjustable tension on the clutches so they're not too bad to use.
  4. naturescape

I guess I need to demo some other pistol grip machines. If the Bunton w/ pistols is anywhere near as effortless as the Lesco, I'll probably buy it next year. I love the cut/striping/discharge/mulching of my Bunton deck!
  5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea lesco pistol grips are nice, i used one this summer. I just got a toro with pistol grips and its beautiful, very easy to handle
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" (whick is for sale) that has the pistol grips. It is my first walk-behind and it is very user friendly. The pistol grips are very easy and it does track and turn very well. If at a later time I need another walk-behind I will be looking twoard the Scag.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Never had a problem with pistol grips...then again some people won't shake my hand anymore either :laugh:
  8. naturescape

What I'm saying here tho, is how LIGHT they are, at least on the Lesco hydro. I don't know about the other machines with pistols, I need to demo some.
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a Scag dealer last week, and tried out the hydro pistol grips. Real easy to squeeze. And I am one of the few that really like pistol grips walk behinds.
  10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I like my Ferris with pistol grips.