Pistol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2005 Toro 36'' with pistol grips, here is my problem...when I grip the left side to turn, it seems to take forever to turn. But when I grip the right side, it turns on a dime.

I did notice that I turn right alot more than left when mowing, but want the thing to work the way its suppose to.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, your brake band is out of adjustment on the left side.
    The operators manual will easily explain, with the added benefit of pictures, how to make this and other simple adjustments.
    Don't have the manual?
    Then go to the Toro web site, you will need your model and serial number from the frame - not the deck - then youo can download the appropriate manual.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info....:drinkup:

4. dubblet125

dubblet125 LawnSite Member

Its probably not the left brake band but rather the right drive belt.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You may even need to replace the brake band.

When you turn is the problem that the inside wheel keeps turning? If so adjust/replace the brakes.

If the inside wheel locks just fine, but the outside wheel is slow in turning, you'll need to adjust your belt tension, or replace the belt.

Every few years, I replace my brakes, it makes a huge difference in handling.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

definitely the brake band. its probably broke and you dont know it. take your wheel off and you'll see. i've had bands with alot of life left break through. i think its because of using the mower early in the morning when there is still dew and it causes them to rust.