PITA costs $$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Feb 17, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

This lady wants her beds mulched with dark hardwood so I picked up mulch and start work. Every thing going smooth, she pulls in and comments how nice every thing looks. 2 pm Im half way thru but I must quit for the day cause Im solo this time of year and I have to go pick up the kids from school, Will finish tomorow. Latter that night lady calls saying she thinks theres "manure" in the mulch. Her & her neighbor got to looking at it and became convinced it was mixed with manure. Despite my assurance that theres no manure in that mulch, she insists that I stop untill she gets the mulch checked out. Things started getting a little heated when she blurts out "You should know better". I informed her to go ahead & have it checked, but I will charge extra for the uneccessary delay as I have to deal with a half loaded truck & all. Well a few days go by, then she calls and leaves a message "Well I guess there isnt manure in this mulch, please finish the job". Well I felt like putting her off for a week or two, but I had to empty my truck so I finish the job. Lady never came out again while I was there. Of course I send the bill with the added $75 a day for each day I was delayed (4 total). Expecting a hassel over the delay charge, I was surprised yesterday when I received the check in full.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Wow... it would take guts to send a lady a bill for that, but it is her fault. I'm very surprised she paid it.. well good for you, now hope that check is good!

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one out of 26,000 with a set of gonads. thank you sir, for a job well done

4. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Sometimes it seems like the customers know more than we do! Glad it all worked out for the best.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think the cost of being down for an entire day would be more than $75.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How did you arrive at $75? Obviously you were just charging for the inconvenience of putting you off and for you having to haul a load of mulch around in your truck for a few days, but I'm just curious how you came to $75?

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Good work.

Run and cash it.

Now you and bobby are buds for ever.

but seriously, congrats on having a pair and following up on charging a PITFA for her habit. If more people would call them on it less of them would exist.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

It didnt cause me to be down, just a hassle.

No rhyme or reason, $75 is half of what my shop charges to rent a commercial mower for a day and $75 seemed to work for me.

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think $75 per day is good enough for a wake up call. Good job on putting her in her place.