1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PITA Customer - Ready to be dumped

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buddhaman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

I have a customer for lawn cutting that just calls when she wants it done. It was fine for a while, but that grows old. She calls to have it cut, wants it cut short, then will call me when she wants it done again. I told her this year I will not cut it shorter than 2 1/2". Now she calls and leaves a message saying she wants it cut. If I don't get there within an hour (yeah right, never do) she will call about every 20 minutes. I must say she called this weekend a total of 30 times. Well, I don't think I'm going to cut it. She can call and bug somebody else. I know it's never good to drop a customer, but come on. Now I know why the LCO she had last year quit showing up midseason. :hammerhead:
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We set the schedule for our customers lawns. I would drop her and learn form your mistakes. Before we starting working for a customer we tell them our policy and if they don't like it they can find someone else.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

As bad as my area in I still refuse to do this. These folks are just tightwads and want you at their beck and call. Make her disappear and you will feel good all over!
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't agree. It is GOOD to drop some customers, we had the same mindset as you when we first started out. But some customers are dead weight, they actually cause you to lose money.
    We drop a few customers every year, either because we are tightening our route, or they are extremely hard to deal with. Losing excess baggage that can slow you down, it's something that anyone in the business needs to do.
    I believe in customer service being a priority, but sometimes it just can't be done.

If you dropped this customer, then you did good.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

does it explain in your contract that you service the property weekly no matter what...yes contract...:)
  6. Krehling's Prop. Maint.

Krehling's Prop. Maint. LawnSite Member

droppin the wrong person's yard can give your company a bad name if that person likes to talk
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they are low paying, complaining customers NOT CONTRACTED CUSTOMERS..... profesional companies have contract to solve such a little problem... its so simple.....:)
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So then, what do you do? Keep a customer till they die due to fear of getting a bad name?? :dizzy:
    Dropping a customer doesn't have to turn nasty. It's simple, call or send a short letter stating that unfortunately the service route has changed, and you will no longer be in their area to take care of their lawn. No hard feelings.
  9. Krehling's Prop. Maint.

Krehling's Prop. Maint. LawnSite Member

i would have set the rules for the contract, not let the customer set them and i wouldnt be in that position,Everyone gets a PITA customer every once in a while and i wouldnt worry as long as your not losing money on the job, then all you do is raise the price
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Who gave you the idea it's never good to drop customers? How do you think you get a quality lineup? You cull the herd. As for your putting up wit this, that's your fault, not hers. You're screaming "desperate poor guy" when you take on that kind of customer. Try being more selective and you will make more money for your effort.