PITA customer takes the cake !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, Jun 1, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of my customers are great, but I do have a couple of those PITA's, but this one really takes the cake. She calls me up on Sunday 5/30/04 and tells me she's having guests over for a holiday party and wants the yard to look "good" and proceeds to ramble off a list of things she wants done ( I couldn't get a word in edge wise ) She says, well I need you to trim all the bushes, put down some Weed n Feed, cut the grass as short as possible, install mulch in all the beds, clean the gutters, powerwash the patio and oh yeah " we need to do something about the garage "
    I was dumbfounded and speechless, I hung up the phone and left the house, this customer has never given me any extras and now all of sudden wants me to do backflips before Memorial Day, what would some of you guys have done in my situation.

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:D

If it's that urgent I would charge at least double and the add an emergency charge.

Ken

3. EastProLawn

Ken, normally I would probably agree, but the crazy pita called me on Sunday and wanted it done that very day. First of all her lawn had already been cut and second it was Sunday ( I think my guys and I deserve to enjoy the holiday too ) and lastly it was the way she asked and the amount she wanted done at the last minute. If it was to just cut or just mulch I probably would have made an exception, but the list was going on and on.... well you get the picture.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have said something like, I'm sorry about your problem but this is far to much work to do in one day with no notice.

Why the weed and feed? And the garage? Did she want you to clean it out? Oh man, some people.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I would have been a good business man and done it. Just charge her accordingly. It's not rocket science. Don't spaz out about this stuff. People are this way, deal with them in the appropriate manner by charging them extra for the inconvenience. Duh.

6. EastProLawn

jwingfield - Excuse me BOY ! First of all I am looking for advice not reprimands, second, go learn some manners, third of all "How long have you been in the business " all yeah that's right you the sh_thead that wanted to rip off all the veterans in this country by raising their price by 5% and then telling them you're giving them a 5% discount ( Now that is some business sense, NOT )

7. EastProLawn

BC Steel, she wanted the whole kit and kaboodle done. The point I'm really trying to get across here is what do you guys think about someone who doesn't ever give you any of the extras and now wants it all on a holiday weekend when her property was already done. Most of my customers would have given me at least 2 to 3 weeks notice.

8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

To put it bluntly, she can stuff it. I'm sure that her party was not a last minute thing. Its her own fault that she left it to the very last minute. Like you said 2-3 weeks notice would be enough to fit her in the schedule somewhere. 2-3 hours is just not enough time.

9. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

She sounds like the kind of snob who's used to getting people to jump and who views the working man as peasants only worthy of serving her purpose. You did the right thing, and actually were nice by only hanging up on her. Tony

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One other thing, would you have been able to do all that in one day, especially if you are alone??

Similar has happened to me, and I try to be as polite as possible and say NO, but we can fit you in in two weeks.