PITA Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernCutter, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

earlier this year, I had to ask one of my customers to clean up after their St. Bernard, and she told me that she had a weak stomach, and she told me she would pay me anything I wanted to clean up after it, so i told her that i would clean it up for 10 dollars extra a week. She agreed, and she payed for doing this a few times, and then after a while she decided that she did not like the idea and approached me after she owed me for three times, and she told me that she no longer wanted me to clean it up, and i said ok, and so she only gave me 5 dollars for each time that she owed me instead of the full ten, so she has already screwed me one time! I told her I would not cut the back yard if it was not cleaned up after the dog and she said ok.

Well the last time I cut there, there was poop everywhere, and I did not cut the area. Well I cut it again today, and once again, there was poop all in the back yard, so I did not cut it again today. When i got home, she called me and left me a voicemail saying she was not going to pay me for today until i came back and did the back yard.

It is only a $25 dollar yard, so im debating whether or not i should go back and get paid, or just tell her to keep the money, and find someone else to do it. And tell her to have a great day.

Any input on what yall would do would be greatly appreciated!
    Sorry about the super long post
  2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

This is your answer IMO.
  3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. you dont need that customer
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed.....BUT!!! I would not be telling her to have a nice day and find someone else. I would tell her to pay up for the mowings and the $15 she stiffed you on (why the heck did you not confront her about it right then), and tell her she has 15 days to pay in full before you turn it into a collection agency which WILL effect her credit. Too many guys are push overs and just take it, F*$% THAT. Even though it might not be worth the time atleast put some fear into her and chances are she'll pay. Might bad mouth you to her friends but chances are they're the same type of customers you don't want.
  5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if 15 dollars is worth going to a collection agency over.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I would simply say nothing, and just be done with it.
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Would I follow through on the threat with such a small amount, probably not, but if you do nothing then you have zero chance of getting your money. To say nothing is just poor business sense. Come mow my 7 acres and then after your done I'll just tell you to get off my property and stiff you.
  8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I really dont see what the big deal is chopping up dog crap. I run over all day long and it dont phase me. So it smells a little. I have smelled worse going to a convienant store bathroom after I cut the poop yard.
  9. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

its not that i dont like cutting up dog $#@!. You cant put a mower in the area....you have to weed eat it, and weed eating st. bernard $#@! is not fun!
    JBell if you wanna come cut it, you are more than welcome to take over the job!
  10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

St Bernard crap??? I guess I can understand your problem....they can have some big piles. The ones I do have much smaller dogs. When they poop in your weed eating zone it can create a mess. I weed eat around piles if I think it will sling on me.