PITA Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jul 1, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We got a call today from our only customer that complains regularly (almost every check he sends us has a complaint that is sent with it) he tells us he wants us to come on Friday's from now on...well the problem is we dont cut on Friday. Should we tell him no and risk getting fired/ or just go out of the way (like always) for this customer.

btw...he is a major PITA
  2. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

If he's a good money maker then maybe try to reach an agreement that you both are happy with. If it is just an average money maker, fire him. Don't wait for him to fire you, take the bull by the horns. It feels great to do that every now and then.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The more shots you let a customer call, the more you will regret it. It's your business, don't let him tell you how to run it. Its good to do everything you can to keep a customer happy, but there comes a point when you got to lay down the law. If you don't cut on Friday, then you just have to tell him. Your busines wasn't set up to revolve around this one customer.
  4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Can you absorb the loss of this customer, if so I would drop him if he throws a fuss about not cutting on friday or you can offer to cut on friday - but tell him it will cost him alot more. If you cant afford to lose him, then you got to do what you got to do.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Drop em like a week old doughnut IMO...
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree it's nice to do everything possible to keep a customer, but if the guy doesn't cut at all on Fridays, do you really think it would be profitable at all to have him pull the trailer and equipment out just for one lawn? That seems nuts to me.
  7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let a customer decide when you work and don't work. Set your schedule and stick to it. You can't drive all over town and cut when the customer calls or wants you on a specific day,too much lost time. Set your schedule and stick to it. Why don't you cut on Fridays? Just wondering.
  8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with Steppenwolf, dont let a customer decide when you will provide service. If you dont cut on Friday, tell him that. If you cant live without the weekly money, try to get him on Thursday. Otherwise, you may have to mow on Friday. But the dude sounds like a PITA and a half if he complains every time, I would dump him but thats just me.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone is on the track I would be on myself, NO WAY am I working outside of my normal hrs. for a customer unless I agree to it ( without coaxing ) and they under stand there will be some exrta bread involved!
  10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi nailed that one pretty good.