PITA doen't call to cancel...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cahermit, Jul 2, 2006.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

So I gave an estimate of $400.00 to cut down a medium sized tree, and remove a medium sized hedge row. She said that the price sounded fine and we set it up for Fri the following week. So I showed up Thurs, the day before I was going to do the job, to do her normal mowing, and the bush is gone and the tree is cut. She has my phone nbr, email addy and mailing addy, WTF!!! I haven't had this client for that long and I'm seeing problems a brewin... Potential PITA status.
    How or would you confront them about it? Or just call it a loss and continue with the weekly service as normal?:confused:
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, I have a few customers like that......when they have it on their mind they want it done right then and there, it worries them and they arent satisfied until its done. Last summer I pointed out to a set of condo owners that thge wood line was starting to creep into their yard and the ivy and weeds and stuff needed to be cut back 2-3 feet. We were almost in a slight drought and I was in search of some extra work. I told them it may take me 2 weeeks to get started on it and they said ok , no hurry, just work it in your schedule.....well......... I quess it was on one of them old timers mind and he couldnt sleep thinking about it........next week when I showed up to mow the wood line was cut back 2-3 feet all the way around the property. Im still mowing them. Just shrug it off and keep mowing if I were you

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would charge her for showing up and not letting you know (wasting your day).
  4. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

i had a lady do the same thing, she left me a message wanting her gutters cleaned, i called her a couple times and she never answered, left a message with her daughter who said she was busy, finally got her the very next morning from when she called, and she says, oh we got someone else to do it. oh well
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

He didn't show up to do the tree work, he showed up and did the normal mowing day. the extra work was for the next day. So, not like he drove out there for nothing.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would charge her a fee for not calling and telling you it was cut. even though you mow there, she should have called you when it was taken down. like $50, you can't re-book that time that you were going to spend at her house.
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't dictate what service provider the client you mow for has to do tree work. It could be that the homeowner sees you as a Lawn Care Operator...go figure!
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What explanation did the customer give? Did the customer need emergency work done?
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I had this same problem last year, customer calls me the night before all in an upfit about this tree that was dead and wants me to come out NEXT day to estimate... By the time I got there, JoeLowballer was in the driveway and the tree was on the ground.

Same as you, no call or nothing.
    So, I added 30 dollars to the account as owed money, and billed it out over time by adding a bit here and there, and that is why:
    - You NEVER steal another Lco's work.
    - I got paid for estimating the work.

I found out later dude did the tree for $150... I wouldn't have touched it for less than 300 myself, so everybody wins: Customer saved 120, I got 30 for putting my eyeballs on a grounded tree, and the lowballer got what he asked for as well.

That's right, so don't call me to estimate it and don't agree for me to do it.
  10. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

Yep, that sounds like many I have had. Usually and older man or woman calls for an estimate. They want you there yesterday. By the time you get there they already have someone else. It happens. Just keep taking the money where you can get it.:)