PITA gas cans..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i have 2 spare gas cans. one mixed one regular. i am having trouble with them, they constantly spill when they are even half full. i'm wasting gas and not to mention the fumes and smell. i've tried closing both the vent and the cap, but just releasing the pressure a few times a day, but its a pain to do it. anyone have/had this problem? i could use some tips thanks :confused:

2. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I guess your problem is the spilling of fuel, and not the pressure release issue. Can't you just bungee them in an upright position? or secure them in some manner?

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Are you leaving the vent open to keep the presure from building up? I take a very small drill bit and drill a hole in the vent, it works for me.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

yes i'm leaving the vent open to relieve the pressure. the cans stand straight up and don't need to be bungeed down. the problem is when i hit a bump, the gas sloshes around and spurts out of the vent. but if i leave it closed, the can looks like is about to burst.

5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Heads up guys, OSHA changed the rules. Plastic cans are now forbidden on trucks and trailers. We're supposed to use the metal self closing safety cans. They just changed over to them at the company I work for. They have about 20 crews x 2 cans each. So for them to make that investment, its pretty important. The safety cans are metal and shaped like pancake aircompressors with a flat bottom. There is a carrying handle across the top. The spout has a spring loaded flap that you pull back. When not being pulled back the spring keeps it sealed shut in case it falls over or rolls out of the truck. Keep it safe guys.

6. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey Expert Lawns, you may consider this. It looks like it would work great but, i've never used them. (saw it at expo 02)

www.no-spill.com

7. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

those cans look kind of neat...OSHA reqs don't kick in until a company has over 10 employees so they probably don't apply to you at this point.

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

They pulled all plastic gas cans off the shelfs, in CA! They said they blow up. Maybe theyll just redesign the plastic ones? Are youre stuck paying the $50 the metal cans that I saw were.:eek:

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I think OSHA has diff levels of regulations. From what I was told certain regs are effective even for one man operations.. And DOT also requires the metal saftey cans.. Once you get one youll know why and wont use plastic again. Gemplers has them for like $35.00 for the 5 gal and they even come in yellow and blue..

10. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

I went thru the same thing the can looks like it will explode. I drilled a sm hole in the vent cap as mentioned by Ryan Lightning.

BTW what did they replace the plastic cans with or have they yet?