PITA gear-drive Wb problem.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by topsites, May 15, 2008.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Mower: 1998 Toro proline model 30197 48" T-bar fixed deck 15hp Kohler 5-spd gear drive.

Notes: Brand new wheel belts on both sides, brand new trans belt.
    Transmission less than a year's wear on it, engine almost new, both side pulleys from the trans shafts and the 9-spline couplings less than 2 years old, brakes replaced in January.

What it is doing on the LEFT side I am getting very little power to the wheel.
    The belt spins fine but it's almost like it's slipping on the wheel pulley or like a brake is dragging or something... The right side is dandy I hardly give it any bar and it about spins the tire but not so on the left...

I first replaced the new belt on the left side with another one just in case, still the same problem. It works all right on level ground but I can kind of feel it there, but get into a hilly section and I have to squeeze that T-bar to where the torsion bar bends and still it almost won't move! I have to get off the velke which is not unusual on a hill fine but then PUSH that POS to get it to act right.

I inspected this to no end, the brakes appear to release fine on both sides, I can jack the back of the Wb up and rotate either tire by hand with about the same force in freewheel mode... I even pulled the wheel off to inspect the washer locations and all that is fine... It's driving me nuts...
    Any ideas on what it could be?

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Let me just throw some ideas out.
    How about the springs to the idlers that tension the wheel belts, some times they will become weak.
    How about play in the control linkage. I'm not familiar with the T controls, but with pistol type controls, if it's not adjusted correctly, it will stop the idlers from bring full tension to the belts
    Are you sure that the belt is not riding on top of the pulley and not in the grooves, if the pulley is worn, the sides of the belt will not ride in the grooves but on top of the ridge in the middle of the pulley.

ericg likes this.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have no way of telling but since I've checked everything else that sounds like the most logical step so I'll go order a few, thanks!

4. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I think you are just out of adjustment on that side. Basically when you are pushing forward on the t bar it is not pushing the belt tight against the pulleys so that side slips. If you have a manual it will show how to adjust the brake and tension. Its easy to do and not a hard fix. It needs to be done as the belts stretch and obvousely when new belts are put on.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's easy to check to see if the pulley is worn, there will be an all most polished look to where the belt rides in the groove and the groove will be a bit wider. Instead of a V look to the pulley, it will start to look more like a U if that makes any sense to you :confused:

ericg likes this.